The broader market indices outperformed the Sensex, with the S&P BSE mid-cap index rising by 0.46 per cent and the small-cap index by 0.75 per cent. Some level of circumspection ahead of Wednesday's RBI policy review outcome resulted in profit-booking. In mainland China, the Shanghai Composite and Hong Kong settled higher by 0.19% to 0.36%.
The BSE 30-share barometer opened at an all-time high of 31,420.85 and traded in the range of a historic peak of 31,430.32 and a low of 31,172.55, before concluding at 31,190.56, showing a fall of 118.93 points, or 0.38%. Gas utility GAIL fell as much as 4.3 percent, oil refiner International Olympic Committee dropped 2.1 percent and automaker Hero MotoCorp declined 1.5 percent. While UK election and European Central Bank meet added to the restraint, pharma space saw buying after the recent falls attracted bargain buyers.
Overseas, most Asian stocks gained ahead of a number of news events with global implications. "Investors will now look forward to emerging confidence among industry participants as GST rollout approaches", Anand James, Chief Market Strategist, Geojit Financial Services Ltd said. In Japan, the Nikkei 225 index closed 0.95% lower. Among 51 stocks in Nifty, 21 stocks ended higher and 30 shares ended lower. Infosys too shed 0.54 percent to Rs 956.30, while Wipro lost 0.06 percent to Rs 548.50.
Sector-wise, the BSE oil and gas was hit the most and fell 1.38 percent, followed by IT 1.33 percent, teck 1.19 percent, PSU 0.60 percent, consumer durables 0.58 percent, capital goods 0.36 percent, realty 0.21 percent, FMCG 0.19 percent and banking 0.15 percent. There were 811 advances, 821 declines and 320 unchanged stocks on NSE, reflecting fairly bearish undertone floating in the market.
- Mining company BHP chooses former Amcor chief executive to be chairman
- DUP head: Talks with UK Conservatives going well
- Artemis Racing reaches America's Cup challenger finals
- Schiff says firing Mueller would echo Watergate
- Feliciano Lopez to face Lucas Pouille in Stuttgart final
- Anniversary of the death of Jo Cox MP
- Spider-Man on PS4 will feature alternate suits for Spidey
- NHL: Calgary Flames trade for G Mike Smith from Arizona Coyotes
- Monaco's Kylian Mbappe to 'sort through' transfer options over summer
- Atari CEO Confirms New Game Console