Sitting behind the Resolute Desk but infront of the reporters and cameras, Mr Trump suddenly changed tack while congratulating Dr Leo Varadkar, 38, on becoming Ireland's youngest leader, to explain the scene infront of him in the Oval Office.
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar told the house that Mr Trudeau and his family will be making the trip. "I bet she treats you well".
Perry herself referred to the moment as "bizarre".
"When we went in he was already on the phone but I managed to catch his eye and he called me over".
"We have all of this lovely Irish press", Trump said.
After mentioning all the Irish press in the room during the call, Trump singled out Caitríona Perry, U.S. bureau chief for RTÉ News, asking her to approach his desk.
A possible visit by Trump to Ireland was not discussed, although Varadkar's predecessor had invited the president to visit the country in March.
- Gainesville Uber Driver Diverts Ride, Gropes Woman
- Iran fires missiles at militant groups in eastern Syria
- Burling, Team New Zealand reach match point in America's Cup
- Kvitova wins Aegon Classic final for 1st title since attack
- Bucks' Antetokounmpo and Brogdon win major individual National Basketball Association awards
- Trump organization ends management of Toronto tower
- Stephen Colbert Says Russian Intelligence Followed Him All Over Russia
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Cast Are Sending Thank You Messages to Fans
- How to Install the iOS 11 Public Beta (If You Dare)
- Californians Now Have the Right to Die. 111 Used It