Sitting behind the Resolute Desk but infront of the reporters and cameras, Mr Trump suddenly changed tack while congratulating Dr Leo Varadkar, 38, on becoming Ireland's youngest leader, to explain the scene infront of him in the Oval Office.
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar told the house that Mr Trudeau and his family will be making the trip. "I bet she treats you well".
Perry herself referred to the moment as "bizarre".
"When we went in he was already on the phone but I managed to catch his eye and he called me over".
"We have all of this lovely Irish press", Trump said.
After mentioning all the Irish press in the room during the call, Trump singled out Caitríona Perry, U.S. bureau chief for RTÉ News, asking her to approach his desk.
A possible visit by Trump to Ireland was not discussed, although Varadkar's predecessor had invited the president to visit the country in March.
- Trump organization ends management of Toronto tower
- Burling, Team New Zealand reach match point in America's Cup
- Greens and NDP combine to vote down BC Liberal political finance bill
- Uber makes it easier to arrange trips for other riders
- Possible active shooter causes lockdown at Army post outside Huntsville, Alabama
- Bucks' Antetokounmpo and Brogdon win major individual National Basketball Association awards
- Iran fires missiles at militant groups in eastern Syria
- Stephen Colbert Says Russian Intelligence Followed Him All Over Russia
- How to Install the iOS 11 Public Beta (If You Dare)
- Gainesville Uber Driver Diverts Ride, Gropes Woman