It has been named Potential Tropical Cyclone Two.
Right now, a very disorganized cluster of clouds, shower and storms is slowly drifting northwestward over the northern Caribbean.
Weakening is expected mid-week as the system moves into the Caribbean and runs into more wind shear.
Because of the ragged structure of the storm, a feature not uncommon with tropical or subtropical systems that develop during this time of year, heavy rains and flooding will be a threat regardless of how much the storm system can develop. This is hampering further development of the system, which will keep it weak.
A tropical system that's drenching Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula is being watched for development and has an 80% chance of becoming a tropical storm or depression in the Gulf within the next two days.
Advisories have been issued for what it calls Potential Tropical Cyclone Two, about 485 miles east-southeast of Trinidad, moving to the west at 23 mph.
A track to our east would mean little rainfall here but anything to our west would put us on the wetter side of the system.
Forecasters expect the Atlantic storm to continue strengthening through the day but say it will likely weaken if it interacts with land over Venezuela. As of now, the models are trying to forecast something that doesn't exist.
It is way too early to say with any confidence exactly where this system will track. It could also help bring heavy rains to the Tampa Bay area early this week.
But will the storm pick up enough wind speed to turn into a hurricane?
It is expected to move over the southern or central Gulf of Mexico later Monday and Tuesday, where a tropical or subtropical cyclone is likely to form.
A second tropical wave (#1 on map) continued to track westward across the central Atlantic on Sunday morning and may get its own visit from the Hurricane Hunters on Monday.
Maximum sustained winds are near 40 miles per hour (65 km/h) with higher gusts.
- Special counsel probing Jared Kushner's business dealings
- Jared Kushner delivers remarks at White House tech summit
- Reports swirl about Beyonce's twins, but no confirmation yet
- US Senate approves new sanctions on Russia, Iran
- Could Bulls get involved with potential Celtics-76ers trade?
- Kim Kardashian West thanks 'good dad' Kanye West
- Australian man escapes Kerobokan: Bali police
- Meet Brooks Koepka's ACTUAL Girlfriend, Jena Sims
- Severe thunderstorm watch in effect until 8 pm
- Senate Dems Slated To Protest Obamacare On Chamber Floor