"I'm really happy that I can help give back to the community, help everyone who is being affected by cancer, and I hope that everyone can make it through", she said.
This year, the event raised over $100,000, with the GCI Salmon Patties bringing in the most funds at $20,496. American Legion Riders entered the Hoisington Activity Center to present colors and stand by as the Rev. Don Paden delivered the opening prayer.
The founder of Relay for Life, Gordon Flatt, who also battled with cancer, got the idea for this fundraising event when he walked and ran around a track in Washington for 24 hours to raise money for cancer. Hoisington Mayor Clayton Williamson delivered the proclamation designating Friday, June 9, as the 2017 Relay for Life, and a choir made up of survivors gathered and sang the National Anthem. "Another one of our incredible volunteers, Tina Aulabaugh of Brewster, previous year organized a team and took part in the Patterson Relay".
Survivors told their stories and entertainment was provided throughout the night.
The emotional Luminary Ceremony takes place at 10 p.m. with closing ceremonies happening at 11:30 p.m. Team Acrish remembers the late rabbi of Temple Beth Eloheim, Sol Acrish, who lost his battle to the insidious disease previous year. The walk continued until midnight.
- Seven Americans still missing after destroyer's collision as search continues
- Oakland triumphant as parade set to celebrate NBA's Warriors
- UK's Hammond says economy should be priority in Brexit talks
- Turkey's justice minister slams protest by opposition leader
- Johanna Konta cruises to Nottingham Open semis as fine grass form continues
- Russia opens Confederations Cup with 2-0 win over New Zealand
- Friend says Trump is considering 'terminating' Mueller
- Walmart to acquire online men's clothing retailer Bonobos
- Woman who stormed stage during 'Julius Caesar' is arrested
- Britain-EU Brexit talks to start Monday as planned