After Google's Artificial Intelligence AlphaGo beating the best human minds in the Go tournament, it is time for the next AI to beat the modern day gamers.
The parameters for victory are simple - the first player to get two kills or destroy a tower (a key building) wins.
Elon Musk's been one of the loudest voices in tech about the dangers of AI - even setting up a foundation, OpenAI with a mission: "discovering and enacting the path to safe artificial general intelligence".
One of the best players in the world, which is entrusted to the standoff bot, was a Ukrainian nickname Dendi.
The MOBA is one of the most popular video games in all of competitive eSports, but no matter how good the best squishy humans are at the game, it seems OpenAI is better.
An OpenAI bot has beaten some of the world's greatest Dota 2 players. Dendi lost the first game two kills to one (he managed to kill the bot at the same time as it killed him the second time, securing the win). "We didn't program it to understand the rules of Dota", says Greg from OpenAI, the team of researchers and engineers that developed the bot.
"Our bot is trained entirely through self play". The bot learned to play the game only by playing against itself.
The billionaire said that when someone is interested in issues of level of safety using bots, now is the time to prepare.
Dendi later elaborated on Twitter that he found the bot "fun" and "challenging" to play against.
"They're pretty bad", one player said. Earlier this year, an AI built by Microsoft beat every level of the Ms. Pac-Man game - something no human player has ever achieved.
Success in Dota requires players to develop intuitions about their opponents and plan accordingly. The full game is traditionally played 5v5.
A video introduction for the bot showed various (human) Dota 2 players sharing their opinions on bots.
- At Least 31 Dead, Scores Hurt as Trains Collide in Alexandria, Egypt
- Everton boss Koeman admits seeking Lukaku replacement
- 'Mad Dog' Mattis to Kim Jong-Un: We win, you lose
- Tannehill reportedly to have season-ending surgery
- US, Jamaica qualify for 4x100 final; Felix eyes record medal
- Probe hots up on Trump links with Russian Federation
- Toilet Ek Prem Katha Box Office Collection Day 1 & 2 (First Weekend)
- Venezuela court removes fifth opposition mayor
- Trump's White House Brings Chaos to Black Journalists Conference
- Netflix Renew GLOW For A Second Season