Donald Trump appeared to accidentally retweet a post describing him as a "fascist", before swiftly deleting the retweet.
'He has done a lot in the fight against illegal immigration, ' Trump continued.
"We're filing these motions because there was absolutely no evidence in support of the judge's verdict, the verdict was contrary to the evidence provided in court, and the verdict is a gross miscarriage of justice", said Mark Goldman, a lawyer for Arpaio.
Trump's consideration of a pardon for Arpaio, which Fox News reported Monday, demonstrates "how inextricably conflicted" Trump is about condemning racism and the targeting of minorities, said Thomas Saenz, president and general counsel of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.
"It plays well to President Trump's base", said Molera.
Arpaio, who, like Trump, peddled conspiracy theories about Barack Obama's birth certificate, gained notoriety while elected sheriff of Maricopa County, between 1993 and 2016.
Regardless of the fact that, yes, a judge did in fact declare him 100% guilty, Arpaio also tempered his enthusiasm.
The crowd responded with chants of "Build the wall".
Using patrols, Arpaio made hundreds of arrests of people who were suspected living in the country illegally - but not of state crimes.
As the most senior officer in Maricopa county, a job he held until past year, Joe Arpaio styled himself as the "toughest sheriff in America".
In two new filings in federal district court in Arizona, Arpaio's lawyers offered up a number of reasons why the misdemeanor conviction should be tossed. The court also appointed an independent monitor to oversee implementation of the injunction.
AZCentral reported, "U.S. District Court Judge Murray Snow ordered Arpaio in 2011 to stop enforcing immigration law because his deputies were pulling over people based exclusively upon the color of their skin".
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Junket tourism
- Charlotte's own Vigil for Charlottesville will be tonight in Marshall Park
- Suspected Daesh Terrorist Killed After Fatally Wounding Police Officer in Turkey
- Marco Rubio target of possible Venezuelan assassination plot
- Transfer window change to be voted on by clubs
- Japan to seek assurance of USA defence pledge, including nuclear deterrence
- Sticking It To The Man: 'No Fascist USA' Protesters Trash Confederate Monument
- Obama's tweet post-Charlottesville among most 'liked' ever
- Cristiano Ronaldo: Real Madrid Forward Suspended For Five Games