He won the Lou Groza Award in 2013, the same year that Bucs quarterback Jameis Winston led Florida State to the BCS National Championship over Auburn.
The move to part ways with the 23-year-old comes less than 24 hours after a dismal performance in the Bucs' preseason opener against the Cincinnati Bengals. "Unlucky", Aguayo said after the game. In the third quarter, Nick Folk nailed a 45-yard field goal. He never missed an extra point attempt either. And while he recovered a bit in the regular season - his 94 percent success rate on extra points was right at the league average - he still hit just 22 of 31 field goal attempts, his 71 percent success rate putting him at the bottom of the NFL's kicking list. He made 88.5 percent of his field goal tries, going 69-of-78. I want to change this.
The most accurate kicker in NCAA history Aguayo found hitting the mark a lot tougher as a pro. Jason Behnken AP
Aguayo endured a bumpy rookie season and didn't do enough early in training camp this season to keep his job. Obviously, not up to the standards that I want. I had a field goal in there but at the end of the day, it wasn't what I wanted.
General manager Jason Licht and coach Koetter made it clear that they planned on sticking with the kicker who performs the best and completes the most field goals and extra point attempts overall, and clearly Aguayo wasn't the answer which resulted in the team waiving him following Friday night's game. I've done big things throughout my career and I know that I'm capable of doing that and capable of being here. "You know, I keep saying it, I can't say it anymore". I've just got to put it in the past. You're a kicker. You gotta make your kicks. "It's a new day".
- Philippe Coutinho Emails in Transfer Request, Despite LFC Statement
- Trump to request possible probe of China trade practices
- IL resident wins Mega Millions jackpot
- Trump's White House Brings Chaos to Black Journalists Conference
- Action again North Korea's ballistic missiles a hard call for US
- Everton boss Koeman admits seeking Lukaku replacement
- Guardiola forecasts end to City spending spree
- A bot just defeated one of the world's best video gamers
- It's hard to replace Lukaku, Everton Boss Koeman says
- Torch-bearing white nationalists march ahead of alt-right rally