In a statement, CNN said it fired Lord because, "Nazi salutes are indefensible".
Following a harsh Twitter exchange with Carusone this week, Lord posted an article for The American Spectator on Thursday that called Carusone's group the "Media Matters Fascists" and cast them as "anti-free speech bigots". Lord said he would continue mocking Nazis and Fascists.
Lord's response was the one that got him fired - he tweeted "Sieg Heil!". He was hired in 2016 during the campaign to be a pro-Trump voice on the network. Lord said Media Matters was playing a "fascist game" by targeting Hannity's sponsors. "Not Fascist Italy, Nazi Germany or Communist Russia".
As the Trump administration has thrust CNN into an adversarial relationship, the cable-news outlet has had to jettison relationships with on-air personalities nearly as fast as it can mint them.
As TheWrap previously reported, Lord tweeted "Sieg Heil" during a Twitter argument with Media Matters president Angelo Carusone.
Lord joined CNN as a commentator in August of 2015. Its justification was the "Sieg Heil" tweet, and it did not comment on its apparent mocking intent.
Another CNN commentator and pro-Trump supporter Kayleigh McEnany recently left the network to be a spokeswoman for the Republican National Committee.
Carusone claimed that one of Lord's columns was "full of lies", and refuted claims that Soros was a a regular donor. People who support President Trump provide "an important point of view", said Zucker.
Later, in a telephone interview with CNN, Lord said, "I think these people are very risky".
CNN signed Lord to a year-long contract in December.
Infamous Donald Trump shill Jeffrey Lord will no longer be driving viewers away from CNN in droves. That remains to be seen, but Fox News and MSNBC confirmed to journalists that they would not hire the commentator.
- Video Captured on Officer's Eyeglasses Helps Convict Man Who Shot Him
- Florida daycare driver arrested for manslaughter over boy's death
- South Africa's President Zuma Survives No-Confidence Vote
- Google Cancels 'Town Hall' on Diversity at Last Minute
- Overwatch Is Adding Deathmatch to its Selection of Game Modes
- Junket tourism
- Snapchat video shows babysitters putting 7-month-old in fridge
- Boy dies in auto park collision at Ibis Hotel in Salford
- US Stocks Slip as North Korea Tensions Persist
- Look out for the Perseid Meteor Shower