Though Bieber's addition helped increase play on American radio stations, it is the original video that broke the YouTube record.
It's hard to hold onto streaming records as online entertainment becomes ever more prevalent.
It was less than a month when Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth's song "See You Again" overtook Psy's "Gangnam Style" as Most Watched Video on YouTube. "See You Again" had a brief reign, having taken over from the long-time favorite "Gangnam Style" just last month. As of this writing, the video is more than 15 million views into the next potential record breaker.
A version of the video featuring the objective star has so far received more than 464 million YouTube views. Daddy Yankee, on Instagram, thanked the viewers and said YouTube had "a big responsibility" in the changing music industry. Daddy Yankee' has claimed the title for itself.
Despacito became an global smash hit this year, topping the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
"Despacito" is also the first video to break the three billion view mark, which is impressive by itself.
- England v South Africa: The three Lions who look like liabilities
- Northwestern Professor and Oxford Employee, Wanted for Murder, Surrender
- Bank of England downgrades United Kingdom growth forecast
- India mum on China's claim on troops
- Minnesota mosque blast was in imam's office
- Conte Rules Out Hazard Exit
- Special Prosecutor Robert Mueller Has Requested White House Documents On Michael Flynn
- US Marine Aircraft Crashes Off The Coast Of Australia
- Flynn and Russian Federation envoy Kislyak discussed 'simple things — BBCI
- Trump White House Looks To Quash 'Deluge' Of Leakers