According to the IOM, 117,795 refugees entered Europe by sea in 2017 so far, with nearly 83 percent arriving in Italy.
On the same day, 12 migrants arrived in waters off the Spanish territory of Ceuta in northern Morocco on jet-skis, with one - a 28-year-old man from Guinea - drowning before he could be rescued, authorities said.
About 30 migrants from Africa arrived in a boat on a southern Spanish beach two days ago and scattered among startled sunbathers.
The numbers have dropped significantly since then, in a large part due to a deal the European Union struck with Turkey to keep migrants there.
So far, 8,200 migrants have arrived in the country this year - that's triple the number compared with this time last year and already more than the total for 2016, according to Organization for Migration (IOM).
"It's possible that Spain will outperform Greece this year", Millman said. The IOM reports that 97,000 migrants have gotten to Italy by boat so far this year, slightly down from the 100,000 who did so during the same period last year. Overall numbers have fallen by nearly 60 per cent from the same period the previous year.
Spain has to prepare for an increased influx of migrants and refugees as it now does not have the necessary infrastructure, Rosa Otero, a deputy spokeswoman for UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) Spain, told Sputnik.
Italy still far surpasses both Spain and Greece in the number of migrants arriving on its shores in 2017.
According to the UNHCR representative, Spain has to get ready to protect the needs of those newly arriving, identify people in need of protection and those with special needs, like minors or potential victims of trafficking.
Meanwhile, 10 men from sub-Saharan Africa were rescued off the coast of Spain. It seems like it is safer to go through Morocco to Spain than through Libya.
The teenagers will be taken to migrant reception centres, where they can apply for asylum in Spain.
- Anger erupts in Odinga bastions after Kenya poll result
- CNN severs ties with commentator over Nazi salute tweet
- Junket tourism
- Boy dies in auto park collision at Ibis Hotel in Salford
- New Apple iPhone 8 Video Reveals Expected Colour Options
- I was groped by DJ, superstar Swift tells court
- BC government joins legal challenges against Trans Mountain oil pipeline
- Vigil held for western Missouri police officer gunned down during traffic stop
- Patients Treated for Chemical Release at Hospital Emergency Room
- Auto slams into ground after seven storey tumble from parking garage