Real Madrid won the domestic championship last season and also prevailed in the Champions League.
He had six shots and completed 88 passes, as well as throwing in the trademark flicks and tricks that have come to define his game. The shift in demographic also meant that many more Madrid fans were present than a normal clasico where there are only 600 away fans.
Cristiano Ronaldo has been named on the bench for Real Madrid in the first leg of the Supercopa de Espana at Barcelona this evening.
When Ronaldo and Isco combined following the precise clearance into the Spaniard's feet, "Ronnie" still had so much to do 40 yards from goal and yet, he carried the ball with such incision that the strike was always going to match it - and boy did it. The former Barcelona player will now coach his first competitive match for the club against its fiercest rival.
The first chance fell to Luis Suarez, who fired directly at Madrid keeper, Keylor Navas, while Messi curled a free kick over the crossbar. That didn't both Messi, who leveled from the penalty spot with 14 minutes remaining.
Real Madrid's Marco Asensio is right now that player that's swimming with sharks but has a bite of his own.
As per the footballing regulations, Ronaldo was booked for taking his shirt off, and that celebration was to prove very costly moments later.
Only 60 seconds later Ronaldo had received a second yellow card and automatic red, because he tried to simulate the contact in the box in order to get a penalty.
The game itself finished 3-1 to Real, setting up a fascinating second leg at the Bernabéu on Wednesday.
Guangzhou Evergrande coach Luiz Felipe Scolari confirmed earlier on Sunday that Brazilian midfielder Paulinho will leave the Chinese Super League champions for Barca, although there's been no official confirmation from the club yet.
"After being shown the red card, the player pushed me gently to show his dissent", De Burgos wrote in the document that covers all the incidents that occurred in the match.
"I think he was caught off balance and he didn't dive", said the defender.
- Neymar marks Paris Saint-Germain debut with a goal against Guingamp
- Tropical depression forms east of Bahamas
- Alexis Sanchez Contract Rumours, Riyad Mahrez Latest
- Hanley Ramirez is not in the Red Sox' lineup on Monday
- Rudiger promises Chelsea response after shock loss
- Kenosha County sheriff provides update on Great Lakes Dragaway investigation
- Top US general to meet South Korean leader amid tensions
- Downed Charlottesville Helicopter Kills Two, Cause Unknown
- JDU's RS MP replaces Sharad Yadav, may join Union Cabinet
- Jarrett Stidham named Auburn's starting QB