If they "persist in their extremely risky reckless actions on the Korean Peninsula, North Korea would then take action "as already declared", he asserted".
US officials projected calm, a message directed as much to North Korea as to Americans, in a concerted effort to be more cautious in the language they use about the nuclear-armed nation and not further escalate an already perilous situation.
President Donald Trump began using biblical terms when speaking about how Trump would respond to North Korea in the event that North Korea threatens the USA anymore.
South Korean President Moon Jae-in said on Tuesday there would be no military action without Seoul's consent and his government would prevent war by all means.
The Liberation day holiday, a rare one celebrated by both North and South, will be followed next week by joint US-South Korean military drills sure to anger Pyongyang.
The U.S. -sponsored resolution was in response to North Korea's launch of two intercontinental ballistic missiles last month, activities prohibited under existing United Nations resolutions.
"We know within moments where it's going", he said of any potential launch.
"There doesn't appear to be any indication, based on what we're hearing, that there will be any missiles attacking in the near future or in the distant future", Lieutenant-Governor Ray Tonorio said.
"You can't make all those kinds of decisions in advance".
A White House statement on the phone call did not mention the apparent plea to the United States president.
Major Josephine Blas with the Guam National Guard stated, "Of course, the immediate reaction is fear but then when you stop and think we are prepared here". But we're getting into hypotheticals and this sort of thing.
Earlier, Mattis and U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson jointly warned that any attack by North Korea "will be defeated", and that any use of nuclear weapons "will be met with an effective and overwhelming response".
- Sticking It To The Man: 'No Fascist USA' Protesters Trash Confederate Monument
- North Korea delays Guam strike plan amid global calls for peace
- Anthony Scaramucci criticises Trump's reaction to far-right violence in Charlottesville
- Suspected Daesh Terrorist Killed After Fatally Wounding Police Officer in Turkey
- Air Berlin files for insolvency proceedings as Lufthansa swoops for takeover
- Giancarlo Stanton generated trade interest from 'at least four teams'
- Sharapova awarded main draw wildcard at US Open
- Lincoln Memorial defaced with red spray paint
- Obama's tweet post-Charlottesville among most 'liked' ever
- Barskdale Air Force Base reacts to possible North Korean missile threat