The town's fortunes have always rested on forces far removed from its isolated setting on the edge of the Mojave desert.
Nipton, CA (population 20), located on the border of California and Nevada, is a remnant of the California Gold Rush.
American Green said it will take control of all 80 acres of Nipton, which includes an Old West-style hotel, a handful of houses, a caravan park and a coffee shop. To start off, the company is going to bottle the town's water, infuse it with the cannabinoid CBD (which doesn't get you high, but is supposed to reduce pain and inflammation), and sell it.
Freeman bought the town in 1985 anyway and spent the next 30 years lovingly restoring its boutique hotel and general store, building canvas-covered "eco cabins" and stocking them with wood-burning stoves and swamp coolers. If successful, their plans will create a green, green town-one that is both ecologically smart and cannabis friendly. Earlier this summer, after legalizing the recreational use of marijuana, the state of Nevada declared an emergency when their weed growers ran out of product to meet the rising demands of the public.
American Green, based in Tempe, Arizona, will use the existing structures and build new ones - powered by renewable energy - to revitalise the town, said project manager Stephen Shearin.
The company, which says it is the second oldest and largest publicly traded marijuana business in the USA, plans to modernize the 80-acre town that boasts some 20 residents and make it the "country's first energy-independent, cannabis-friendly hospitality destination", and a hub for the manufacture of pot products, according to a press release. "The Green Rush can keep it moving the way people envisioned it years ago". There are plans for edible marijuana products, retail stores, and even artist-in-residence programs as well.
- Rwanda has re-elected president Kagame with more than 98% of the vote
- Trump asserts support for McMaster
- Deaths from heatwaves could surge due to global warming
- Jurgen Klopp Comments On Adam Lallana Injury
- Man 'tried to sell' kidnapped model online
- Iran's president begins a second term to deliver on reform promises
- Karnataka minister grilled, raids on
- Bank of England downgrades United Kingdom growth forecast
- Friday's Arsenal transfer rumours: Ousmane Dembele and Alexis Sanchez latest
- 'Despacito' Is Officially The Most-Watched Video On YouTube