The Dane's pass by met by an on rushing Alli who slotted past Rob Elliot. Kane will register his 100th goal for the club if he scores in today's match at Newcastle, a milestone he will have reached in 166 games.
Benitez, meanwhile, will be hugely frustrated that Newcastle's return to the top flight was spoiled by Shelvey's peevishness.
The game suddenly burst into life, with Gayle forcing Hugo Lloris into a save at his near post, but Newcastle's positive response soon fizzled out.
If Pochettino needs to change things at St. James' Park, he can turn to Cameron Carter-Vickers, while Victor Wanyama and Heung-Min Son are also amongst the options on the bench.
The goal seemed to kick Spurs into action and the rise in tempo soon saw Pochettino's men double their lead, Eriksen and Alli combining again with a neat one-two which left Davies with the chance to stroke past the Newcastle keeper.
Tottenham made a winning start to the 2017-18 Premier League season as 10-man Newcastle endured a hard return to the top flight. The England worldwide is yet to score a Premier League goal in the month of August since his Spurs debut. - Shelvey has been sent off twice under Rafael Benitez at Newcastle, more than any other player. The Magpies are back in the Premier League after one season in the Championship and Rafa Benitez can look to emulate what Huddersfield did yesterday by recording a victory over a London based team. What is worse, what is a red card?
"This city deserves a team in the Premier League". - Ben Davies has scored twice in his last two Premier League appearances, as many as in his previous 102 combined.
- FDA updates gastric balloon warning after 5 deaths
- Cardinals announce Rally Cat Appreciation Day
- Welcome boost from China to global pressure on North Korea
- Hong Kong enhances checks on eggs from Europe
- Action again North Korea's ballistic missiles a hard call for US
- Sebastian Gorka says Rex Tillerson discussing military options is 'nonsensical'
- United States stocks close lower, ending Dow's 10-day winning streak
- Sunderland house destroyed in explosion that 'sounded like bomb'
- Trump to request possible probe of China trade practices
- Eric and Donald Trump Jr roasted on Saturday Night Live