"You see more people in line buying both tickets when both games are over $300 million", said Jeff Lenard, spokesman for National Association of Convenience Stores, whose members sell about two-thirds of the nation's lottery tickets. Tickets for the Powerball drawing will go until 9:58 p.m. Saturday, and 10:39 p.m. Saturday for Hoosier Lotto.
Anyone would be excited to win that much cash, even after tax is taken away, but if the Houstonian had gotten the Powerball number as well they would have won the $307 million jackpot. That's the sixth-largest jackpot in the game's 15-year history.
The Mega Millions jackpot rolled to $382 million after Tuesday night's draw, and the Powerball jackpot rolled to $356 million after nobody won the grand prize in Wednesday night's draw. Those prizes are based on annuity options, paid over 29 years.
The jackpot for Friday's drawing is worth a $393 million annuity value or a $238.3 million cash prize. Your odds are slightly better if you play Mega Millions: about one in 258 million. The overall chance of winning a prize is 1 in 24.87.
According to Allstate's data science team - about 1 in 75 quadrillion.
- Junket tourism
- Study Finds Smoking Marijuana Could Have A Surprising Health Risk
- 'O, That's Good!': Oprah Is Making Mashed Potatoes
- LEGO gets new CEO for second time in 8 months
- Mayweather Outlines McGregor Game Plan and Why He Owes The Fans
- Stargazers to witness Perseids meteor shower this weekend
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Arsene Wenger: 'Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain continuing to mature'
- Three-year-old boy dies after 11 hours in hot nursery van in Florida
- Germany urges China, Russia to rein in North Korea