Samsung announced a more rugged version of the Galaxy S8 on Monday. And it's every bit as "built to take a beating" as last year's Galaxy S7 Active, and the Galaxy S6 Active from the year before. Also, it ships with a bigger battery. While the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus are water and dust resistant, the new Galaxy S8 Active additionally comes with a shatter proof body. The back of the phone is textured for a better grip, and a bumper on all four sides offers added resistance from tumbles. The handset can also survive the same thirty-minute dunking in up to five feet of water that the existing Galaxy S8 and S8+ can endure. AT&T was the only point-of-sale for these variants because Samsung didn't even release unlocked models of Active devices. The phone can withstand exposure to high and low temperatures, salt, humidity, and shock, according to the company.
Samsung Knox, is also included - a feature which Sammy refers to as a "defense-grade mobile security platform".
Also worth mentioning is the S8 Active's larger 4,000mAh battery - a nice bump from the 3,000mAh unit found in the standard S8 and the 3,500mAh unit inside the S8+.
Further combating Apple and its virtual assistant Siri, Samsung's Galaxy S8 Active features Bixby, "with the voice assistant's home screen including quick access to a stopwatch, barometer, compass, and flashlight". It is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor clubbed with 4GB RAM. For a limited time, the latest Galaxy S8 Active device will be exclusively available from AT&T.
The Galaxy S8 Activecomes in either "meteor gray" or "titanium gold" and can be yours for $28.34 for 30 months (for a total of $850.20) on AT&T's Next plan. AT&T is going to start taking pre-orders for the handset from tomorrow.
- Aston Villa 2017-18 player preview: Josh Onomah
- David Beckham pays tribute to Usain Bolt after farewell 100m
- Japan says time for "effective pressure" on North Korea, not dialogue
- Microsoft Surface Financing Lets You Upgrade In 18 Months
- Parliament to Probe Imran Khan's Alleged Sexual Harassment
- North Korea top of agenda at ASEAN meeting
- White House: Trump 'Not Discussing' Firing Mueller
- 'Very small' number of eggs linked to contamination scare distributed in UK
- Jordanian king arrives for talks with Abbas on Jerusalem, peace efforts
- Destiny 2 cheat clamp-down will be a streamer's nightmare