Dutch born defender of Ghanaian descent Timothy Fosu-Mensah's first match for new club, Crystal Palace ended in a shock 3-0 defeat against Premier League new boys Huddersfield Town at the Selhurst park.
Hudson made over 100 appearances in three seasons with Huddersfield and helped David Wagner's side win promotion to the top flight via the Championship play-offs last season.
"The pundits are there to voice their opinion, this is obviously their opinion, as it was last season".
Steve Mounie, the club's record £11.5m signing, also showed he is capable of surprising the Premier League with a debut double.
Ahead of the opening weekend of Premier League action, Sportsmail will be providing you with all you need to know about every fixture, with team news, provisional squads, betting odds and Opta stats.
"Tommy has all the right skills needed to be a good captain; he is reliable, open-minded, committed and likes to challenge not only himself but the group as well", Wagner said.
Wayne Hennessey had no chance in goal and one of Palace's summer signings, Jairo Riedewald, was not even close to beating Mounie to the ball as the Benin striker rose high above him to meet Aaron Mooy's left-wing cross.
To be fair to Huddersfield, they came with a game plan and executed it well, with Palace boss Frank de Boer admitting afterwards that the Terriers deserved their win and that the Eagles have had a "very hard lesson".
De Boer has taken over with no experience of English football, but having managed Ajax and Inter.
Huddersfield's last top-flight match was in April 1972 and also away at Crystal Palace, when these two sides played out a 0-0 draw at Selhurst Park.
As far as betting is concerned, we are getting a good price on Crystal Palace winning this game and as a result, I think it is the way to go in terms of betting.
- Frank de Boer has enjoyed just one win in his last seven league games as a manager (W1 D1 L5 with Inter). Since 2008-09, only four newly-promoted sides have won on the opening day in the Premier League.
- Soccer: Okazaki nets as Leicester lose to Arsenal in Premier League opener
- Trump to request possible probe of China trade practices
- IL resident wins Mega Millions jackpot
- Hong Kong enhances checks on eggs from Europe
- A bot just defeated one of the world's best video gamers
- Toilet Ek Prem Katha Box Office Collection Day 1 & 2 (First Weekend)
- United States stocks close lower, ending Dow's 10-day winning streak
- Action again North Korea's ballistic missiles a hard call for US
- Rose forgiven by Pochettino after apology over his blast at Spurs
- Probe hots up on Trump links with Russian Federation