Police had been searching for a BMW vehicle and its driver who rammed into a group of soldiers outside a barracks at the Place de Verdun in Levallois-Perret around 8 a.m. local time. The driver is on the run.
French police used gunfire to "neutralize" a man who is believed to have used a vehicle to ram into a group of soldiers on patrol in a Paris suburb early Wednesday - an attack that injured six people.
A man in a getaway vehicle was injured during his arrest on the A16 motorway in northern France following a auto attack on military soldiers in Levallois-Perret (Hauts-de-Seine, north of Paris) on Wednesday, according to local media.
The attack took place in Levallois-Perret as the soldiers were leaving their barracks. Police have closed off the roads.
Police said six people have been injured, with two a critical condition. However, the interior minister said after visiting three of the soldiers with Defense Minister Florence Parly that all of them were expected to recover. It is believed to be a premeditated attack, since the suspect deliberately rammed a vehicle into the group while going at a high rate of speed.
Six military were hurt including three who were seriously wounded without their lives being in danger, the Defence Ministry said in a separate statement.
He was shot five times, while an officer was also hit by a bullet before the man was arrested, said a source close to the case.
The soldiers injured in Wednesday's attack were assigned to the 7,000 strong Sentinelle force, which was created to guard against popular French attractions following the string of fatal attacks.
"Bomb squads were deployed to the scene and the Paris prosecutor's counter-terrorism unit opened an investigation into what is suspected to be a deliberate act", France24 says.
After an intense search, officers intercepted the auto on the A16 highway that runs from the outskirts of Paris north to Calais, the National Police says. "It hurtled at them.it accelerated rapidly", he told the TV station.
Since January 2015, more than 200 people have been killed in several terrorist attacks throughout the country. In June, a man identifying himself as a "soldier of the Caliphate" attacked a policeman on patrol outside Notre-Dame cathedral.
- What Your Go-to Instagram Filters Say About You
- The Dark Tower narrowly tops the box office
- General Mattis Warns North Korea: Stop or Face 'Destruction of Its People'
- Two killed, 39 wounded in truck bomb blast in Lahore
- Here Are All New Summer Games Skins for Overwatch
- US News & World Report ranks two Philadelphia facilities in 'Top Hospitals' list
- 'The Bachelorette' recap: Rachel gets engaged, runner-up suitor snaps
- EF1 tornado confirmed to have touched down during Salisbury, Maryland, storm
- HBO Hackers Are Demanding Millions In Bitcoin
- Don't forget you are a Rajput, says Digvijay Singh to Vaghela