Last season, the Cowboys used Elliott's physical running style to dominate behind Dallas' mighty offensive line and re-establish an identity as a team that can and will run the ball and wear down opponents.
It may come Friday, it could be bumped into next week.
One league source characterized an Elliott suspension as "definite".
Elliott faces the possible suspension due to an incident previous year in Ohio.
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Jones, who said publicly that he thought Elliott would not be suspended by the league, is predictably furious about the NFL's decision. Elliott will be eligible to return to the active roster on October 23.
Elliott is eligible to participate in all preseason practices and games. That same report from PFT indicated that Elliott could be facing a four-game suspension in part for destroying evidence connected to an investigation. She claimed Elliott assaulted her while the two were in a parked vehicle and alleged he also had become violent toward her in the days prior. In a statement, Elliott denied the woman's accusations. "That's all I'm going to tell you".
While none of those incidents will result in direct discipline from the National Football League, they have said they were looking at the "accumulative nature" of these incidents. Elliott wasn't arrested, and the case was not forwarded to prosecutors for review.
Should the Cowboys have to go without Elliott to start the season, here's who a look at will be called upon to pick up the slack.
The NFL has long had a clear policy regarding the punishment for drug violations, but there was inconsistency surrounding the punishments for other offenses.
Elliot will apparently serve a suspension for a domestic violence dispute that arose and still needs legal clarification.
Elliott was also seen removing a woman's top at a St. Patrick's Day party earlier this year and being accused of breaking a D.J.'s nose at a Dallas night club this summer.
- TN: Both AIADMK factions to merge after OPS, EPS meet with PM
- The insane climate records from 2016 you haven't heard much about
- Snapchat video shows babysitters putting 7-month-old in fridge
- SoftBank invests $2.5 billion in Flipkart
- Lawsuit Filed In Trump Directive To Ban Transgenders From Military
- Google Cancels 'Town Hall' on Diversity at Last Minute
- S&P closes barely lower despite N. Korea tensions
- Beijing slams U.S. 'freedom of navigation' exercises in South China Sea
- Look out for the Perseid Meteor Shower
- Original JD(U) is with me, says Sharad Yadav