The 27th annual "State of the Climate" report, led by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), stands as the first comprehensive rebuke by the nation's and world's climate scientists to the presidency of Donald Trump.
According to the global report released on August 10, the year 2016 has set the newest record for highest air temperature, highest sea surface temperature, highest rise in sea levels, highest concentration of carbon emissions, and most extensive drought worldwide.
"Many lines of evidence demonstrate that human activities, especially emissions of greenhouse gases, are primarily responsible for observed climate changes in the industrial era".
The New York Times released a draft version of the report on Monday after researchers called attention to the fact that it had been uploaded on to the Internet Archive last January, but had yet to receive any public acknowledgement.
Reportedly, 2016's heat - the highest in 137 years - came from a combination of a warming trend caused by human-induced greenhouse gas emissions and the El Niño weather pattern.
Scientists debunk The New York Times claim that it leaked a secret - "gloom and doom" - climate change report which President Trump is trying to keep from the public. One-third of the sea level rise since 1880 has occurred since 1990, and coastal communities from the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic are at increasing risk of routine flooding, saltwater intrusion into the drinking water supply and the collapse of roads, utilities and other vital infrastructure.
Winter sea ice locking in Nome for the winter. The draft report documents recent advances in the ability of scientists to detect a climate change impact on many extreme weather events.
A paper published last week in Nature Climate Change offered a harrowing view.
Via Climate Central: "The 2016 average temperature for the contiguous USA was 54.9°F, which was 2.2°F above the 1981-2010 average, this is the second warmest since records began".
"We have yet to see any pushback, there's been no muzzling, but the uncertainly comes from an obvious place", an author of the report who asked not to be named said.
Less than a week from this announcement, his government's chief science agency released a report expressing the global warming was real and getting worse every day.
The annual worldwide report showed the temperatures recorded on a year ago were the highest ever.
- Global sea level rose another quarter of an inch (3.4 millimeters) for the sixth straight year of record high sea levels.
- Sea levels are the highest they've ever been since recordkeeping began.
The average surface temperature of Earth has gone up about 1.1 degrees Celsius since the late 19th century.
Since the air temperature over the sea is at an all-time high in 2016, it only follows that the seas would get affected as well.
And for the 37th consecutive year, alpine glaciers retreated across the globe.
- Lawsuit Filed In Trump Directive To Ban Transgenders From Military
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Hackers failed to enter Kenya's voting database, election official says
- Snapchat video shows babysitters putting 7-month-old in fridge
- How to start in the online casino?
- TN: Both AIADMK factions to merge after OPS, EPS meet with PM
- Original JD(U) is with me, says Sharad Yadav
- Trump To McConnell: 'Get Back To Work' On Repeal And Replace
- Look out for the Perseid Meteor Shower
- Beijing slams U.S. 'freedom of navigation' exercises in South China Sea