He urged people to stay away and "deny those ideas more attention than they deserve". Video shows a auto ramming into the back of another auto, causing a pile-up and sending people over the top of the vehicle in front of it.
Officials didn't immediately release any further information and it wasn't immediately clear if anyone was in custody.
Hundreds of torch-wielding white supremacists marched through the University of Virginia campus, chanting racist slogans and clashing with a small group of counter-demonstrators.
-This breaking news story will be updated.
Groups began gathering early Saturday morning, and police were in position at Emancipation Park and downtown Charlottesville at 6 a.m.
The park used to be named Lee Park, after the Confederate general, but Charlottesville City Council voted to change its name in June. "As long as that expression is peaceful, that is their right".
Right-wing blogger Jason Kessler, the organizer of the rally that is expected to draw "alt-right" activists and white nationalists, filed a lawsuit in federal court Thursday against the city of Charlottesville. President Donald Trump tweeted "There is no place for this kind of violence in America".
Several scuffles broke out at the rally after some of the nationalists swung their torches at people, the paper said, adding that several people were injured at the rally and at least one person was arrested.
But ACLU attorney Victor M. Glasberg said the Emancipation Park location is central to Kessler's rally because of the Lee statue and the controversy that has surrounded the city's decision to remove and rename the park.
The demonstration, which took place ahead of the alt-right Unite The Right event in the city's Emancipation Park on Saturday, led to violent exchanges with counter-protesters on the university grounds.
Organizers say the Unite the Right rally on Saturday aims to "unify the right-wing against a totalitarian Communist crackdown" and to protest "displacement level immigration policies" in the United States and Europe.
A Twitter user also shared a picture of the varsity students protesting against the white nationalists.
- Global stocks slide as US-North Korea nuclear tensions rise
- Gorakhpur tragedy: Families allege discrepancy in treatment
- Netflix Renew GLOW For A Second Season
- Anger erupts in Odinga bastions after Kenya poll result
- Patients Treated for Chemical Release at Hospital Emergency Room
- At Least 31 Dead, Scores Hurt as Trains Collide in Alexandria, Egypt
- 'The Munsters' Reboot In Works At NBC From Jill Kargman & Seth Meyers
- Venezuela court removes fifth opposition mayor
- Fruitcake Survives 100 Years In Freezing Antarctica
- No Man's Sky's new update adds new story, fancy graphics and multiplayer