Eleven Idaho counties had previously reported positive tests for West Nile this year among local mosquitoes; according to the Idaho Department of Health & Welfare, this is the first human case reported this year. Additional monitoring for mosquitoes will be done in the area where the mosquito pool was collected.
Cumberland County's Vector Control Office is spraying to control mosquitoes around the Camp Hill Borough Thursday, according to an announcement from the Cumberland County Commissioners Office.
The City says there haven't been any reports of humans being infected with the virus in the area.
Shireman, environmental health services director with the Greene County Health Department says his agency looks for the presence of West Nile by collecting samples from machines throughout the county. Make sure your doors and windows have tight-fitting screens.
"The virus can be transferred to humans by the bite of the Culex mosquito if the mosquito has bitten an infected bird", the release sated.
"If you have any water standing long enough", Kirk Tubbs, abatement district manager, recently told News Radio 1310, "mosquitoes will find it - a forgotten swimming pool, water left in a bucket or water trough". This is the second human case of West Nile virus in Colorado so far this season.
Drill holes in the bottoms of recycling containers, and check uncovered junk piles.
Wearing long, light-colored clothing to cover the arms and legs.
Reduce standing water on your property; check and drain toys, trays or pots outdoors that may hold water.
Flush ornamental fountains and birdbaths periodically.
Using a mosquito repellent with an EPA-approved ingredient whenever you are outdoors, especially at dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are more active.
Insect repellents with Deet, when applied (sparingly) to exposed skin, deter mosquitoes from biting.
- Nasa needs someone to protect Earth from aliens
- Chelsea's Diego Costa to hand in formal transfer request
- Samsung's new SM-G9298 flip phone has 2 screens
- Bruce Willis Stars in 'Death Wish' Remake Trailer
- Windows Store gets UI improvements ahead of Fall Creators Update release
- Bank of England expected to keep interest rates at 0.25%
- Flash flood concerns persist in Southern California
- Teen texting manslaughter verdict could face a legal challenge
- New Secret Superstar poster released
- Predators captain Fisher retires after 17 seasons in National Hockey League