Steven Davis hit the victor in only the sixth minute at Selhurst Park and Fraser Forster made good saves to deny Christian Benteke and Jason Puncheon, as Palace became the first team in the history of England's top division to lose their opening five games of a season without scoring a goal.
Crystal Palace was yet to score a goal, and they were nineteenth in the league table.
ROY HODGSON suffered a nightmare start to his Crystal Palace reign - with Steven Davis netting the victor just six minutes into his first game. How can we validate the work of one colleague in this moment after four games?
Mauricio Pellegrino on the lack of goals: "I think the number of goals is there because we scored three goals and it's a fact".
Hodgson said he couldn't fault his players for their commitment.
Roy Hodgson, 70, will be the third manager to take charge of a Premier League game in his 70s, after Sir Alex Ferguson and Sir Bobby Robson.
"So, now, it's five defeats, it's zero points, it is a really tough programme ahead if you look at the quality of the opponents". Our prediction is for Palace to win 1-0.
"This is very much the club of my boyhood and I remember in my youth watching the club from the terraces at the Holmesdale Road end which gave me such fond memories", he told Palace's website.
Crystal Palace have made the worst start to a top-flight season in English football history.
"Like every football match, afterwards if you've won it you're bouncing a little bit and are on something of a high, and when you lose it you're on something of a low".
"But it's a chapter that's finished, in the past as far as I'm concerned, and now it's a chapter in the book of life opening for me, and one I'm looking forward to, one I'm hoping brings joy to the fans of Crystal Palace".
He said the anxiety of his players was palpable during the game but he saw an improvement in the second half after they had resorted to booting the ball up to striker Christian Benteke in the first. "What Palace have done only piles more pressure on Premier League managers".
- Players must think like winners - Guardiola
- Shocked residents return to Irma-ravaged Florida Keys
- GGG vs. Canelo: Preview And Prediction
- Simran movie review: Kangana shines through an average, mildly-flawed film
- Four races free-to-air in new French F1 deal
- AJ Green says he needs the football more often
- Man tries to attack soldier in Paris
- Ernesto Valverde and Paulinho speak out after Getafe La Liga win
- Trump tweets about ' sick and demented loser terrorist'
- Day's hole-in-one overshadows fellow Aussie's blitz