Defoe's goal was his first for Bournemouth since a loan spell some 18 seasons previously and began to repay the faith Howe had placed in the former Sunderland veteran by offering him a three-year contract.
Chris Hughton's charges eventually broke the deadlock in the 55th minute when Pascal Grob's cross was headed home by Solly March at the far post. We've already seen it in training, just how sharp he is in front of goal.
AFC Bournemouth's Jermain Defoe celebrates scoring their second goal during the English Premier League Match between AFC Bournemouth and Brighton & Hove Albion, at Vitality Stadium, in Bournemouth, Britain, on September 15, 2017.
After four games, Bournemouth are still looking for their first win of the season and sit 19th in the table.
"It's a really, really good cameo of what he's all about", said Howe of Ibe's match-turning show on Friday night.
However, the hosts rallied round and were level in the 67th minute through Andrew Surman before Jermain Defoe struck the victor six minutes later. He can beat people in really tight areas and he did that for the two goals. "I've no doubt there are still many good years in him".
"I knew we'd be under pressure in the last periods of the game, that's normal away from home", said Hughton. Fellow defender Lewis Dunk skippered the side in his absence, with Liam Rosenior coming into the starting line-up at Right back and Ezequiel Schelotto making the bench for the first time since signing from Sporting Lisbon on Deadline Day.
Brighton pushed for a victor in the final 15 minutes of the second half, but they were unable carve out another chance as Bournemouth claimed their first win of the season. It's a tough lesson for us.
- Delhi woman arrested for slapping army officer
- Jeff Sessions can't withhold grant money from sanctuary cities, judge rules
- Players must think like winners - Guardiola
- Can the Packers Mike Daniels disrupt Falcons high-powered offense?
- May censures Trump for tweets on London terror attack
- Ryan Shazier Reportedly Fined $25000 for Hit on DeShone Kizer
- Nick Kyrgios holds nerve to draw Australia level with Belgium
- Day's hole-in-one overshadows fellow Aussie's blitz
- Nike & NBA Unveil Brand New Team Jerseys & Warm-Up Jacket
- McMaster says there is military option against N. Korea