French counterterrorism prosecutors are handling the investigation into an attempted knife attack on a soldier patrolling a large Paris subway interchange. No injuries have been reported at the incident, which happened at 6.30am (15 September).
"We do not know more about the intentions of the aggressor who was arrested - but this new attack fully legitimises what we want to do".
In June, police shot and injured a man who attacked three officers with a hammer near Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris while shouting "this is for Syria".
A man has been arrested after trying to stab a soldier on patrol in the French capital this morning.
The man was taken to the main Chateletpolice station, and now faces a range of terrorist charges.
Police and military forces have been targets of attacks themselves.
The French government had launched an operation called Sentinelle following the 2015 attack, where it deployed almost 7,000 troops across the country o guard high-risk areas such as tourist sites and religious buildings.
Operation Sentinel has been in operation since 2015 following the January 2015 terror attacks at the Charlie Hebdo office and Jewish Hypercache supermarket.
French defence minister Florence Parly said the fact that the attacker was swiftly brought under control Friday was "proof of the professionalism and efficiency of the Sentinelle soldiers in their mission to protect". Also in August, seven soldiers were left seriously injured when a BMW drove into them deliberately.
- Violence against Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar must stop
- Bitcoin prices are dropping after BTCChina halts trading on regulators' concerns
- Simran movie review: Kangana shines through an average, mildly-flawed film
- Iraq's Kurdish leader vows to conduct independence referendum
- Pep: City man 'one of the best players I've ever seen'
- Formula One: Daniel Ricciardo leads Red Bull 1-2 in Singapore
- Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi to invest £8.9bn in electric and autonomous cars
- Memo to CNN: They Don't Call It The "Boob Tube" for Nothing
- Pakistani Soldiers Killed In BSF Retaliatory Fire On JK Border
- UEFA Europa League: Arsenal vs Cologne