Manufacturers frequently cite racetracks and racing cars as inspiration for some of their faster models, but the Project One can make this claim more credibly than many: it features the same hybrid engine as Mercedes' 2014 Formula One vehicle, driven to victory by Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg that season. However, it won't come cheap - the Project One is priced at an eye-watering $2.53 million dollars.
The road-legal version of the F1 engine will be capped at 11,000rpm, but still features the same single-turbocharged, 90-degree V6 engine architecture as the W08 F1 vehicle.
The drivetrain layout shows that oddly tiny mid-mounted 1.6-liter V6 and the floorpan-based battery packs for the electric motors at each wheel. The Project One is packing an F1-derived V6 and four electric motors, allowing it to go from zero to two hundred kilometres per hour in under six seconds.
The hypercar model will mark AMG's 50th-anniversary celebration.
We'll leave you with the leaked photos and the YouTube live reveal link, since Mercedes-Benz will probably deliver a lot more info in around half an hour.
As for the transmission, AMG describes the all-new eight-speed unit as a "manual", but you won't find a conventional lever to swap cogs.
KERS-style energy recovery features on the front wheel motors, too.When coasting off-throttle, the system switches back to electric drive on the front axle to recuperate energy, fed back into the batteries. Project One will also be able to undertake short journeys, up to 16 miles, in all-electric mode as a front-wheel-drive vehicle.
You're looking at around 30,000 miles before the engine needs maintenance - a figure that's easier to swallow when you consider that an F1 engine is created to be rebuilt every four to five races.
Inside the two-place cabins, the seats themselves are integrated into the monocoque and yet have adjustable backrests. A digital screen linked to a rear-facing camera replaces the rear-view mirror and Mercedes has also seen fit to include a smartphone holder and sat nav.
Sadly, AMG plans to build just 275 examples, and all build slots have been sold.
- Angelina Jolie brings kids to The Breadwinner red carpet
- Jurgen Klopp explains Philippe Coutinho's Man City absence and expects star's return
- How Many HSS Hire Group PLC (LON:HSS)'s Analysts Are Bullish?
- Patty Jenkins will direct 'Wonder Woman 2'
- 10 militants dead, nine Egyptian policemen wounded in Cairo shootout
- China Planning Gas and Diesel Vehicle Ban
- Man United boss Mourinho relishing Champions League challenge
- Hamas says relations with Cairo have passed tense stage
- Ederson eases fears over injury after clash with Liverpool forward Sadio Mane
- Crystal Palace FC sack Frank de Boer as Manager