Sam Bradford picked up the honor Wednesday, Sept. 13, for his lights-out performance in Monday night's 29-19 season-opening victory over New Orleans at U.S. Bank Stadium.
Against the Saints, who had the worst defense in the league a year ago, the Vikings offense looked sharp.
But after carrying defenders for a nine-yard gain on the first snap of the game, the 32-year-old running back was a non-factor while Vikings rookie running back Dalvin Cook upstaged him by a huge margin. "I thought our tempo was great".
"Thielen spent the majority of his time inside in the slot against the Saints, catching multiple deep crossing targets and bringing in nine of the ten passes thrown his way, trailing only Antonio Brown in receiving yards after week one".
Lamur (hamstring), by the way, was limited on Thursday for the Vikings as was quarterback Sam Bradford (knee).
"I've got a lot of confidence in those guys", Bradford said. For his efforts, Bradford was named the NFC Player of the Week. We were getting to the line early. His 122 yards were the second-most ever by a Vikings on a Monday night game behind Chuck Foreman's 148 in 1976 and the most ever by a rookie in his first game with the team. He was able to stay healthy with the Vikings last season despite being sacked 37 times in 15 games playing behind a porous offensive line and without much of a running game.
"It means a lot, and I take a lot of pride in it", Bradford said.
"Having been here for a year with our guys and just building those relationships, I think it makes it easier to be more vocal", he said. But anyone who has followed this team in recent years knows the real credit goes to left tackle Riley Reiff, left guard Nick Easton, rookie center Pat Elflein, right guard Joe Berger and right tackle Mike Remmers.
Yes, Bradford and his receivers played well.
"I keep telling everybody, 'Sam is as accurate as there is, '" Zimmer said.
"We didn't do anything different or try to out-trick them", Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr said.
- South Korea confirms traces of radioactive gas from North Korea's nuclear test
- Iranian Official: UN Nuclear Agency Has No Right to Inspect Military Sites
- Today's Brokerage Rating: McDermott International, Inc. (MDR), Magellan Midstream Partners, LP (MMP)
- Lawyer disappointed Shkreli's bail was revoked
- Presidency: People of Kurdistan, Kirkuk reject Iraqi Parliament's 'unconstitutional' decision
- Slain pregnant high school teacher remembered for giving students hugs
- Russian Federation fires cruise missiles at IS militants, equipment in Syria
- Spokane area school shooting: What we know
- Sen. Scott talks race relations with the president
- Grenfell Tower fire: Public inquiry hearing opens