In a humorous show of self-deprecation, seemingly fed by its growing confidence, Elon Musk's rocket company SpaceX today (Sept. 14) unveiled a two-minute video of some of its most dramatic rocketry mishaps.
Titled "How Not to Land an Orbital Rocket Booster", the clip is set to a piece of US military march music called "Liberty Bell" which was composed by John Philip Sousa in 1893 and made famous by Monty Python. It's just a scratch, ' regardless of the fact that it is in pieces.
There's plenty of humor here as the subtitles cover all the causes of failures, from "sticky throttle valve" to "well, technically it did land. just not in one piece". Then, if landing on land, it would flip around then light its engines again, to perform a "boost-back burn" sending the rocket back to Cape Canaveral, guided by Global Positioning System.
'Look, that's not an explosion...it's just a rapid unscheduled disassembly, ' the video states.
SpaceX successfully launched its latest Falcon 9 rocket in mid-August.
In March 2016, a landing engine burn failed, and the booster hit the platform too quickly, exploding. Said by Lysander to Hermia, the line goes: "The course of true love never did run smooth". Previous attempts resulted in on-impact destruction of the craft's booster.
Fortunately, SpaceX's last 12 landing attempts, including recycled spacecraft, were successful.
'You are my everything, ' the SpaceX video states.
In one of the clips in the SpaceX blooper video, Musk is shown inspecting the wreckage of a Falcon 9 with the caption "Rocket is fine?"
SpaceX may soon have enough successes to make an anti-blooper reel.
Since its first successful landing in December 2015, SpaceX has only crashed three of the rockets that it meant to land.
SpaceX has now managed to land a total of 16 Falcon 9 first stage orbital boosters, and it's been a while since it lost one in the attempt.
- Hurricane Jose twists in Atlantic
- Florida Keys devastated by Irma, says governor
- States With the Highest and Lowest Uninsured Rates
- Gulf crisis continues as false media reports surface
- Korea falls 2 spots to 51st in Federation Internationale de Football Association rankings for September
- 'The Voice' Baby on the Way! Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Expecting
- Eagles to work out kickers with Sturgis hurt
- Analysts Near-Term outlook: The Coca-Cola Company (KO), GoPro, Inc. (GPRO)
- Bungie Removes Destiny 2 Glove With 'Hate Symbol' On It
- Hurricane Jose Churns In Atlantic Between The Bahamas And Bermuda