Muhammad Safdar, a lawmaker married to Sharif's daughter and heir-apparent Maryam, was arrested after he failed to appear at previous National Accountability Bureau (NAB) court hearing about corruption allegations stemming from a probe into the Sharif family wealth.
Maryam Nawaz appeared in the Islamabad court on Monday morning, while her husband who arrived in the country earlier in the day, reached the court later.
On the other hand, Sharif and two of his sons were absent from the proceedings since they are accompanying their 67-year-old mother in London. "Those who have sent packing representatives of 200 million people should also be held accountable", she said while talking to the media after her court appearance. Two of Sharif's sons are also due to appear before the NAB court, along with Finance Minister Ishaq Dar.
They have been charged in one of three corruption cases against Sharif.
Later, the Court adjourned the hearing till October 13 when former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, his daughter Maryam Nawaz and son-in-law Captain (retd) Muhammad Safdar would be indicted.
The judge barred Safdar from leaving Pakistan without its permission but rejected the NAB's request to confiscate his passport. Maryam criticised the arrest of her husband and said he was taken into custody despite the fact that he had come back to face the case.
The NAB is sending its team in pursuance of the letters it had written to the United Kingdom authorities in connection with the mutual legal agreement, the Dawn quoted official sources, as saying. Also, their case has been separated from that of the rest of the family members. "When they couldn't find any evidence, they disqualified him on the Iqama (work permit) issue", she contended.
On October 3, Sharif was re-elected as president of the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N).
She said judges will have to be answerable. The cases were filed after the July 28 verdict by the Supreme Court which disqualified Sharif.
- LSU legend YA Tittle dead at 90
- 'Self-serving noise.' Read Melania Trump's response slamming Ivana Trump's 'First Lady' claim
- Concern for Shane McMahon following his latest death defying stunt
- VP Pence exits game after anthem protest
- National Team Manager Confirms Marouane Fellaini Has Suffered Knee Ligament Damage
- After 'Moron' Report, Trump Suggests He Has a Higher IQ Than Tillerson
- October 26 repeat poll is unstoppable, says President Kenyatta
- Perera the star as Sri Lanka sweep Pakistan in Dubai
- The clubs Brendan Steele used to win the Safeway Open
- Nadal 'destroys' agitated Kyrgios to win China Open