Bob Corker, sending an unmistakable signal to other Republicans that public criticism of President Trump will be met with a fierce public scolding.
The two-term Republican announced last week he would not seek a third term, which means eventually giving up his coveted chairmanship of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Bob Corker and is now suggesting that the Tennessee Republican's conversation with The New York Times was recorded without his awareness.
According to the poll by Associated Press and NORC Center for Public Affairs Research, 65 percent of Americans think Trump's recent remarks regarding the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) have made the situation worse. "I think that's a decision for Sen". The Tennessee senator had asked the journalist to record their conversation and said that his staff was recording as well.
"He also wanted to be Secretary of State, I said 'NO THANKS.' He is also largely responsible for the horrendous Iran Deal", Trump tweeted.
The feud between Corker and Trump had escalated this weekend when the President tweeted that the outgoing senator "begged" for his endorsement before declining to run for re-election.
Both Trump and Corker entered politics after careers as business executives, both in real estate and construction, and their shared backgrounds gave them a level of mutual understanding at a time when few in Congress can claim to understand the president's motivations. "Didn't have the guts to run!"
"I know they're recording it", Corker said of his aides who were also on the line with him and a Times reporter. Even after Trump won, Corker was on the list of possibilities for Secretary of State. Steve Bannon, Trump's former chief strategist who was let go from the White House earlier this year, called on the senator to resign in response.
- How to help your family plan and practice a fire escape route
- Ireland placed in second tier for inaugural UEFA Nations League
- France on brink of World Cup, Dutch hopes all but over
- Junket tourism
- Amazon targets teen shoppers with new account sharing feature
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Federation Ship Banned for Breaking North Korea Sanctions
- This Real-Life Nissan GT-R Is Controlled With A PlayStation Controller
- Nintendo's latest trademark suggests there'll be a Game Boy Classic Mini
- Patriots QB Tom Brady Expected To Play Through Shoulder Injury