And anything from the back catalogue of an iconic creator like Steven Spielberg may be continually ripe for revisiting. The deal, which is expected to include 10 episodes, is part of a larger pact with NBCUniversal, which owned the rights to the anthology series. The original series only ran for two seasons in the mid-80s, but racked up a fair amount of critical acclaim and fond memories, including a dozen Emmy nominations. It was not clear if Mr. Spielberg will be actively involved in the series.
Apple, Amblin and Comcast did not immediately respond to requests for comments.
"It's wonderful to be reunited with our colleagues Zack and Jamie in their new capacity at Apple", said Jennifer Salke, President, NBC Entertainment.
Apple is turning to famed director Steven Spielberg for its major push into original video content. Still, the lingering questions have not stopped Hollywood talent and their reps from barraging the deep-pocketed company, which hired Van Amburg and Erlicht from Sony Television in June to spearhead Apple's content acquisitions and video strategy, which spec scripts.
The company, however, is looking to change that, slowly but surely.
What is still unclear is how Apple will distribute the show to an audience. Apple has already started these initiatives to some degree. Its previous efforts to date have included celebrity sing-along show "Carpool Karaoke" and tech competition show "Planet of the Apps". Initially set up at NBC in 2015, the reboot comes from writer Bryan Fuller (American Gods), who is executive-producing along with Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey from Spielberg's Amblin TV. Maybe Amazing Stories will be next year's Stranger Things; maybe it'll crash and burn.
- Japan's Kobe Steel tumbles after admitting to falsified data
- Joel Embiid, 76ers Agree to Five-Year, $148M Deal
- 'Blade Runner 2049' Makes Slight Gain With $32.8 Million Opening Weekend
- Illinois Professor Wins Nobel Prize in Economics
- Zuckerberg's insensitive VR joyride around Puerto Rico is disgusting to watch
- Twitter Bans Anti-Planned Parenthood Campaign Ad
- Liverpool Rocked By Sadio Mane Injury
- Chrissy Teigen's daughter Luna just got a bulldog puppy
- Iceland qualify for their first WC
- Neymar's Promise to Bring Lionel Messi and Argentina to Russia Next Summer