A group of six men violently beat DeAndre Harris, a counterprotester, in a parking garage next to the Charlottesville Police Department on August 12 after a white nationalist rally was dispersed by police.
A warrant has been issued for Deandre Shakur Harris in relation to an assault that occurred near the Market Street Parking Garage during the chaos caused by the violent white nationalist Unite the Right rally on August 12.
Charlottesville authorities have issued a warrant for the arrest of parking garage beating victim Deandre Harris.
In the days following the attack, two men were arrested and charged with malicious wounding: 18-year-old Daniel Borden, of Cincinnati, Ohio, and Alex Ramos, 33, of Marrietta, Georgia, according to WVIR-TV.
S. Lee Merritt, an attorney for Harris, told The Washington Post the charge is "clearly retaliatory".
The investigation had just wrapped up, police said, when asked why they had not requested a warrant for the arrest of Harris.
However, as WCPO notes, white supremacists on Twitter appeared to be celebrating the issuance of the warrant on Monday, with one white nationalist appearing to claim that it was a group effort to collect evidence on Harris.
In one of the many fights that broke out, videos and photo tweets posted by journalists showed white supremacist marchers beating Harris with signs and poles.
A magistrate judge, without talking to witness Roberts, issued a warrant, apparently on the complaint of lawyers for the white nationalists. Both were charged with malicious wounding, a felony.
"We find it highly offensive and upsetting, but what's more jarring is that he's been charged with the same crime as the men who attacked him", he said. He also suffered a broken wrist and a chipped tooth. Harris received a concussion and a cut on his head that required 10 stitches, as well as other minor injuries. "There were some non-racist members who were going to a free speech rally". According to his attorney, Harris plans to turn himself in.
- Chrissy Teigen's daughter Luna just got a bulldog puppy
- 'Blade Runner 2049' Makes Slight Gain With $32.8 Million Opening Weekend
- Zuckerberg's insensitive VR joyride around Puerto Rico is disgusting to watch
- Junket tourism
- Iceland qualify for their first WC
- Prince Harry: mental health should be at heart of armed forces training
- Rohingya Muslims killed in Myanmar's Rakhine state since Aug 25: Foreign minister
- Neymar's Promise to Bring Lionel Messi and Argentina to Russia Next Summer
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Twitter Bans Anti-Planned Parenthood Campaign Ad