The state of Chicago has repealed the soda tax after only two months.
Despite warnings from Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle of steep budget cuts across the county if her pop tax was repealed, the Cook County Board Committee rejected her sweetened beverage tax 15-1 on Tuesday, Oct. 10, after a almost four-hour session.
Supporters of the movement which involve many top public health groups former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg have promoted the taxes as a symbol to combat obesity while also erecting earnings for confined administration. The vote came just more than two months after the tax took effect August 2.
Cook County's soda tax has officially lost its fizzle. "And yet in this tax and spend, Democrat-run city, consumers forced the city council to cough up their recent tax hike and repeal the soda tax", Grover Norquist, president of the anti-tax Americans for Tax Reform, said in a statement.
The tax, which was projected to raise $200 million annually, raised $16 million from August 3 to September 20, approximately $2 million less than expected, according to Frank Shuftan, a spokesman for Preckwinkle.
The committee took the first step to repeal the ill-favored sweetened beverage tax on Tuesday and is expected to finalize the vote tomorrow.
Opponents of the tax said that it violated IL law as it did not apply evenly to all beverages.
The tax passed past year when Board President Toni Preckwinkle cast the deciding vote after commissioners deadlocked on the measure. The ads are still running on some major TV networks in Chicago, despite commissioners last week announcing they had enough votes for a repeal which would go into effect in December.
Preckwinkle has not said whether she will veto the repeal measure.
- Cahill the hero as Socceroos see off Syria
- Japan's Kobe Steel tumbles after admitting to falsified data
- Is it Apple's intention to slow down older devices?
- Dodgers keep Baez, Stripling on playoff roster
- China opposes USA move to send its warship in South China Sea
- Liverpool Rocked By Sadio Mane Injury
- Looking for an Uber? Book it through Snapchat's 'context cards'
- Apple Reaches Deal With Steven Spielberg's Amblin for 'Amazing Stories'
- Trump to visit United Kingdom on 'working visit' in early 2018
- Australia's team bus window smashed after T20 win in India