Taijuan Walker will start Arizona's NL Division Series opener against the Dodgers after the craziness of the Diamondbacks' wild-card game depleted their pitching staff. On Friday night, in Game 1 of the NLDS, he gave up four.
The Diamondbacks meanwhile had to get here via the Wild Card game, which ensures they will give away home field advantage for as long as they remain in the postseason. (Zack) Godley, Zack (Greinke), obviously has had some success, and Ray has really got the best of us.
Walker went 9-9 with a 3.49 ERA in 28 starts during his first season with Arizona. Robbie Ray will go up against Rich Hill in Game 2 on Saturday.
The Yucaipa native has made three starts in his career at Dodger Stadium, going 2-1 with a 4.20 ERA.
If the Dodgers could have chosen one team to avoid in the postseason it probably would have been the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Three Dodger relievers limited the Diamondbacks to an unearned run and three hits over the final 2 2/3 innings before a capacity crowd announced at 54,707. It includes 12 pitchers (including more than one struggling reliever) but no baserunning specialist.
Ray was 6-0, including two victories over the Dodgers, with a 2.28 ERA after being activated from the disabled list on August 24. That rally included a three-run jolt to left from Turner, sending jam-packed Dodger Stadium into a frenzy.
Kershaw's brilliant career has set a high bar.
On the mound for the Dodgers was their ace, Clayton Kershaw, and although he wasn't at his best, he limited the damage over 6.1 IP, with nine strikeouts, however he allowed four earned runs, all coming via solo home runs.
"I'm definitely confident that he's worked out his issues", Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said earlier this week.
It's great to hit home runs off of Kershaw, but he is more than willing to give up runs that way rather than a crooked number from a string of singles an offense puts together against him.
And in the seventh, Arizona continued to rake, getting back-to-back bombs from Ketel Marte and Jeff Mathis off of Kershaw-bringing the D-Backs to within three. In the eighth, Corey Seager tripled in Austin Barnes. Kershaw allowed four homers overall tonight, but he otherwise seemed to dominate with location and sharp breaking stuff. The red-bearded slugger tied a Dodgers record for most RBIs in a postseason game.
- Body parts found by Danish police are from Swedish journalist Kim Wall
- Ruthless Rafael Nadal sets up semi-final showdown with Dimitrov
- Michigan State University Police: Object Reported as 'Noose' Was a Shoelace
- Saudi King slams Iran on historic visit to Russian Federation
- Harvey Weinstein Takes Leave Of Absence Amid Sexual Harassment Claims
- Trump Tweets Music Videos Honoring Vegas Victims and Police - And Starring Himself
- Azhar Ali rested for Sri Lanka ODIs
- BlackBerry Motion aka Krypton image leaks, launch could be imminent
- Tesla Inc (TSLA) Offers To Rebuild Puerto Rico's Power Grid
- Cowboys' defensive shuffle likely to continue vs Packers