The White House is already prepared to tone down any talk of gun control, which Democrats in Congress have been pushing since the slaughter on Sunday. They then head to an undisclosed location to meet with those "civilian heroes" and first responders.
Trump said he still doesn't know what motivated Stephen Paddock, 64, to open fire on an outdoor country music festival on the Las Vegas Strip late Sunday night, but "we're looking very hard" for answers.
Senior congressional Republicans say they are open to considering legislation banning "bump stocks" like the shooter in Las Vegas apparently used to make semi-automatic rifles perform more like fully automatic weapons.
Many White House reporters have responded to the worst mass shooting in modern history by repeatedly asking Trump and White House representatives about gun control.
"If crooked Hillary got elected, you would not have a Second Amendment, believe me", he said. The president says those details will be announced at "an appropriate time". "I may have very well been the last person to shake hands with that man", he added.
Earlier in the week, just after the shooting, Trump offered somber remarks about the shooting from the White House on Monday, saying "our unity can not be shattered by evil, our bonds can not be broken by violence".
Synder said that because bump stocks only simulate automatic fire and do not alter the firearm, they are legal under current laws.
"Hey, this guy looks tough to me", Trump said as he shook Gunderson's hand and gave him a pat on the back with his left hand and asked, "How's it going?"
What's at stake politically for the president as he visits a grieving Las Vegas?
"Americans defied death and hatred with love and with courage", Trump said. They had returned the day before from Puerto Rico, where they surveyed the damage from Hurricane Maria.
- Stranger Things Launches Free Mobile Game Ahead of Season 2
- South Africa punish Bangladesh attack
- Is Distracted Driving Getting Worse?
- Denis Villeneuve: I felt intimidated making Blade Runner 2049
- Sessions Denounced for 'Appalling Assault' on Transgender Workers' Rights
- View from Away: Catalonia held a referendum, and Russian Federation won
- Junket tourism
- Tillerson calls NBC News report on his resignation 'erroneous'
- Major GST relief for exporters, small traders: Highlights
- Brazil nursery attack: Children set on fire in Minas Gerais