But - as the video shows - Melissa didn't let the warnings scare her.
If you're Melissa Hatheier, real estate agent and deadset Aussie legend, you calmly wrestle that shark from the pool and fling it back into the ocean, apparently, all without seeming to break a sweat. She takes a moment to pick up the animal, which is half her size, and lobs it over the edge of the pool. The shark was distressed because it couldn't escape, The Independent reported.
Her daughter Shannon captured video of the rescue, and the footage has made Hatheier a hero, as well as a viral sensation.
After corralling the lost creature, she bends over to try to return it to its natural environment. Then she tossed it back into the freedom of the sea. "I then grabbed him around the neck so he couldn't swing around and bite me", she explained. Her mother told her there was a Port Jackson shark swimming in the water.
Don't believe us? Cop this extraordinary video posted to Facebook by Mel's employer Cronulla Real Estate yesterday. It received 316,000 views and made Hatheier a social media star.
Hatheier and her daughters jumped into the vehicle and headed to the beach to investigate. Her son, Nathan, was also there, but he left earlier.
Hatheier said the shark was "stressed" because it was trapped between the rocks, separated from the ocean and his natural habitat. "I saw it, it was just a small nurse shark, I told myself that I just had to throw it away", told the Australian ABC.
The shark was an infant that she said was about three-feet long.
"As a real estate agent I'm used to relocating people and this was similar". "If it had big teeth I wouldn't have done it".
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal's auto stolen
- Election Commission of Pakistan issues non-bailable arrest warrants for Imran Khan
- Arsene Wenger Provides Arsenal Injury Update Ahead of Watford Game
- Arsene Wenger: Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez may be sold in January
- Nokia 9 out of the headphone Jack
- Lufthansa to buy large parts of bankrupt Air Berlin
- Barcelona - The Coutinho Saga Rumbles On
- Hamas Says Deal Reached in Palestinian Reconciliation
- Get your flu shot - Why you need it every year?
- NY police reopens 2004 Weinstein assault case