The North Carolina Department of Public Safety tweeted around 4 p.m. that the endeavored escape occurred at the Pasquotank Correctional Institution in Elizabeth City.
A report by NBC News said nine patients were taken to Sentara Albemarle Medical Center, according to an official there, and two of them would be transferred to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, across the state line in Virginia, which was expecting five additional patients.
Walker said no inmates escaped during the incident.
No inmates escaped and officials said the situation is under control.
A spokeswoman for Elizabeth City-Pasquotank Public Schools, Tammy Sawyer said, "We didn't want kids home alone or in transport with the potential situation that was unfolding".
The Pasquotank County Sheriff's Department, along with the State Bureau of Investigation, are investigating the incident.
Pasquotank Correctional Institution houses 725 male inmates in close, medium and minimum security.
The prison, which had 729 inmates on Thursday, was locked down, as were nearby schools.
Members of the Prison Emergency Response Team responded to PCI from other state prison facilities and are assisting the local prison staff, WTKR reported.
Multiple people were injured and schools were placed on lockdown after an attempted escape at the Pasquotank Correctional Institution. "Several employees injured." It added there would be "more info when available".
Asked if there's any indication yet whether Thursday's incident was planned, Walker said, "At this time, we don't know". Peter J. Sengenberger, a spokesman for Sentara, said information on their conditions would not be released until Friday.
All afternoon activities at the schools have been cancelled.
- Bank of America earnings boosted by higher interest rates
- Chelsea boss Antonio Conte delivers injury updates ahead of Crystal Palace clash
- Digital Realty Trust, Inc. (DLR) Analysts See $1.50 EPS
- Lawyers, prosecutors face off at Samsung heir's appeal case
- Maine's Susan Collins declines gov run, will remain in Senate
- Stranger Things Season 2's final trailer gives us the goods
- Junket tourism
- Facebook's Sandberg Favors Release of Russia-Linked Ads
- Uber officially appeals London decision, can carry on operating for now
- Donald Trump and others speak at 2017 Voters Value Summit