It was suspected that Girardi might not return, with the pull of family potentially being too great after so long on the job.
"I want to thank Joe for his 10 years of hard work and service to this organization", Cashman said in a statement.
Girardi took significant criticism for his team's loss in Game 2 of the ALDS versus the Cleveland Indians after failing to ask for a replay review on a strikeout that was incorrectly called a hit batsman. Girardi-led teams never finished below.500 and won one World Series and made six postseason appearances.
Cashman said he and owner Hal Steinbrenner had spoken directly with Girardi this week.
NY won the next three games to advance, lost the first two games of the ALCS at Houston, then won three in a row to move within a victory of reaching the World Series for the first time in eight years. "He has a tireless work ethic, and put his heart into every game he managed over the last decade". "He should take great pride in our accomplishments during his tenure". The Red Sox dismissed John Farrell after their ouster in the AL Division Series, and the Nationals did the same with Dusty Baker after being bounced by the Cubs in the National League Division Series.
Girardi compiled a 910-710 record in his 10 years in the Bronx. First base coach Tony Pena has managerial experience in the majors.
"This is not an easy chair". "It's not something where a lot of times there's a lot of longevity". You know that when you go in.
- Oil steady before U.S. stockpiles data as OPEC reassures market
- Samsung Galaxy Android 8.0 Oreo Beta Start Date Rumored
- A pregnant, undocumented teen symbolizes the Trump administration's attacks on human rights
- Ukraine: One dies, three injured in a blast in Kiev
- Pune pitch curator to be suspended for giving out information
- Walgreens beats profit estimates as new contracts provide boost
- Twitter says it overstated monthly-user numbers for 3 years
- Theresa Lockhart's body found in wooded area in Allegan County
- Xbox Games With Gold For November Have Been Revealed
- Microsoft beats profit estimates on gains from cloud services