This year, the week began October 8, Berkowsky said. It is therefore essential that every home have a home fire escape plan so that everyone in the home knows what to do when there is a fire.
"Home escape planning is one of the most basic but fundamental elements of home fire safety, and can truly make the difference between life and death in a fire situation", said Lorraine Carli, NFPA's vice-president of outreach and advocacy. Residents may have as little as two minutes, possibly less, to safely escape a typical home fire from the time the smoke alarm sounds. They reassured students that they needn't be afraid of firefighters even when their uniforms make them look unrecognizable.
Families can map out their escape plans and practice it.
"It's important to have two ways out of the home in the event of fire in case one way gets blocked", said Jack Burt, assistant deputy fire chief.
The kitchen is the most common room in the home for a fire to start - usually related to cooking, however unsafe ash disposal is also a reoccurring problem.
Leduc Fire Services are encouraging everyone to have two ways out of their home.
Fire and Life Safety Education Officer Pam Kutchen will bring her puppet friend "Dusty" for a special story-time at the Mamie Doud Eisenhower Library in Broomfield, beginning at 10:30 a.m.
"You had more natural Fabrics like wool and cotton and wooden frames in the modern based living room [today] you have more petroleum based products", said Damon Robbins, Fire Inspector.
If the smoke alarms are working in the home the pizza is free. A burning building should never be re-entered.
"You can teach them how to get out of a window; you can teach them how to go under the door crawl under the smoke".
This will be done at no cost to residents, including if a smoke detector is installed or replaced in the home. "If there is a small fire on the stove they might work, but if it has spread to the counter or cupboards it's too late and they aren't going to put the fire out".
- Japan's Kobe Steel tumbles after admitting to falsified data
- Cahill the hero as Socceroos see off Syria
- Jerry Jones: Players 'need consequences' to stand up to peer pressure
- Australia's team bus window smashed after T20 win in India
- Liverpool Rocked By Sadio Mane Injury
- South Korea claims North hacked nuclear attack response plans
- Apple Reaches Deal With Steven Spielberg's Amblin for 'Amazing Stories'
- China opposes USA move to send its warship in South China Sea
- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie says he'll be back on Thursday
- Amazon's New Kindle Oasis Can Be Dropped In The Pool