So, during the final third of the season, when we expect to be monitoring the Western Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico for tropical activity, all we can do is shrug our shoulders when a hurricane pops up in the central Atlantic, in October. That's a bit of an unusual track for Atlantic storms.
Way out in the middle of the Atlantic, it's unlikely it will be a threat to USA, although it could possibly be a threat to Ireland, the National Hurricane Center said.
While she won't affect the United States, it's possible that she threatens not only the Azores, but Ireland and parts of the United Kingdom as well.
Hurricane-force winds extend out 25 miles from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend out 70 miles.
Hurricane Ophelia is now raging at 90mph over the northeastern Atlantic and could strengthen further over the next couple of days, according to the NHC. That has not happened since 1893, according to McNoldy.
Perhaps the most impressive statistic is that if Ophelia strengthens to a hurricane, which it is forecast to do, it will be the tenth consecutive hurricane.
The 2017 hurricane season was forecast to be the busiest we have seen since 2010.
Ophelia will get caught in the "westerlies", the jet-stream-powered flow that moves mid-latitude weather from west to east, over the weekend as it passes Portugal and Spain and heads towards Ireland.
Met Éireann, the Irish Meteorological Service, says Ophelia "has the potential to be a high-impact event in parts of the country", listing strong winds, heavy rain, and high seas as likely impacts.
- Barcelona - The Coutinho Saga Rumbles On
- Neville's future in WWE uncertain after walking out before Raw
- Disney cancels 'Gigantic,' animated spin on 'Jack and the Beanstalk'
- Nokia 9 out of the headphone Jack
- Spain Gives Catalonia A Deadline: Retract Independence Claim Or Else
- Cowboys players won't test Jerry Jones' anthem policy, report says
- South African Cricketers' Association express concern after postponement of Twenty20 Global League
- Aussie officials expecting Serena Williams to defend title
- Equity Research Analyst's Stock Ratings: Lattice Semiconductor Corporation (LSCC), Adaptimmune Therapeutics plc
- Facebook will help investigators release Russian Federation ads, Sandberg tells Axios