The former punk rocker from Kent fled to Syria with her son in 2013 and became a leading recruitment officer for Islamic State. "I do not have any information that would substantiate that report but that could change and we are looking into this" Major Adrian Rankine-Galloway, a Pentagon spokesman, told the Guardian.
It is possible that her her 12-year-old son Jojo was killed with her.
A former British punk rocker who became an Islamic State recruiter was reportedly killed by a USA drone strike as she attempted to escape Syria.
Rukmini Callimachi, a correspondent for the New York Times, also said two senior US officials denied that Jones was dead.
Once in Syria, she married ISIS member Junaid Hussain, with whom she was having an online relationship.
The nickname "white widow" is also attributed to Samantha Lewthwaite- the widow of the 2005 London attacker Germaine Lindsay- who has since been linked to a number of terror plots in Africa.
Jones is among many suspected IS operatives on a United Nations sanctions list, which includes a travel ban and a freeze on her assets.
In Raqqa, Jones adopted the nom de guerre Umma Hussain al Britani and devoted herself to Isis, using multiple Twitter handles to lure potential recruits to Syria and to encourage sympathisers to carry out attacks in their home countries.
Later, Jones also images of her in a nun's costume with a gun and talked about her desire to behead Christians with a "nice blunt knife". Her husband was killed in 2015.
He was killed by a U.S. drone in 2015, and had allegedly been planning "barbaric attacks against the West", including terror plots targeting "high profile public commemorations" this summer. Jones always traveled with her son as a human shield to avoid assassination.
- Josh Gordon says coaches helped him pass drug tests
- Lufthansa to buy large parts of bankrupt Air Berlin
- Junket tourism
- Hurricane Ophelia: What time will hurricane Ophelia hit Ireland?
- Britain Could Join NAFTA If Brexit Deal Fails
- Get your flu shot - Why you need it every year?
- Barcelona - The Coutinho Saga Rumbles On
- Election Commission of Pakistan issues non-bailable arrest warrants for Imran Khan
- Equifax compromised yet again as its website directs visitors to install malware
- Spain Gives Catalonia A Deadline: Retract Independence Claim Or Else