Following further examination, it has now been confirmed that Mane has sustained a hamstring injury in what is awful news for Liverpool.
The influential forward - and Ballon d'Or nominee - could miss up to six weeks after suffering the injury on worldwide duty with Senegal, the club have revealed.
Mane has started the season in blistering fashion and was crowned August's Premier League Player of the Month after three league goals.
Liverpool won just once in seven matches in all competitions during his time away with Senegal.
He scored 13 Premier League goals last season despite missing the whole of January due to the Africa Cup of Nations.
They coped better that time, with five wins, two draws and a defeat.
But the striker is set to miss the game at Anfield in addition to Liverpool's league clash against Tottenham and both Champions League group fixtures against Maribor.
Having worked hard to get back to fitness this term, Mane was sent off at Manchester City on 9 September, resulting in a three-match ban. Needless to say, though, the quickest way to make up that deficit would be by beating the latter and without Mane, that appears less likely - in turn putting more pressure on the remaining games he is expected to miss, against Huddersfield, West Ham and Southampton.
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi trailer leaves fans with so many questions
- Stephen Paddock shot security guard before firing on Las Vegas concert
- 'Blade Runner 2049' Makes Slight Gain With $32.8 Million Opening Weekend
- Illinois Professor Wins Nobel Prize in Economics
- Arrest Warrant Issued For Black Man Beaten By White Supremacists
- Rohingya Muslims killed in Myanmar's Rakhine state since Aug 25: Foreign minister
- Twitter Bans Anti-Planned Parenthood Campaign Ad
- Neymar's Promise to Bring Lionel Messi and Argentina to Russia Next Summer
- Chrissy Teigen's daughter Luna just got a bulldog puppy
- Joel Embiid, 76ers Agree to Five-Year, $148M Deal