Among the rank of angry Australians is their former prime minister Tony Abbott, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
Speaking to Nine News shortly after touching down in Sydney on Saturday morning, Macklemore said the "overpour of love" was "pretty amazing" and said it was "resistance against hatred".
She argued homegrown heroes such as John Farnham should be given top billing at the NRL Grand Final.
During those minutes, just as Macklemore will have followed the script of his song, Tony Abbott can read a prepared statement, backing up all the claims he has made about countries which have gay marriage.
Macklemore told a radio show in the United States this week he had received "a lot of tweets from angry old white men" and vowed to "go harder" because of the furore.
"I thought Mr Abbott believed in freedom of speech", Senator Brandis he said earlier in the week.
The petition demands that the NRL "reconsider its political position and remove LBGTIQ politics out of the awesome sport of Rugby League".
PM Malcolm Turnbull has backed Macklemore, describing him as a "great artist".
Immigration Minister Peter Dutton told local radio 2GB the performance was disrespectful to employees and fans who were against same-sex marriage. "It's interesting times in Australia", he said.
Currently, same-sex marriage is not legal but the government will use the results to make their decision on whether or not they will be holding a parliamentary vote on same-sex marriage later this year, according to Business Insider.
Regular opinion polls show the vast majority of Australians support same-sex marriage.
Since the controversy erupted, "Same Love" - which was released in 2013 - has moved to number one spot on the iTunes chart and its music video sits in the number two spot as of Friday at 8.55am AEST.
- Google Dropping 'First Click Free' Policy For News Websites
- Congressman King Speaks Out On Kurdish Independence Referendum
- Tesla sending battery packs to storm-ravaged Puerto Rico
- Sony PlayStation VR now available in India for INR 37990
- Cueto struggles, but Sandoval's HR helps Giants top Padres
- Trump official calls Puerto Rico response "a good news story"
- Holidays cancelled after collapse of Monarch Airlines
- Tillerson says USA has direct channels to talk to N Korea
- McDonald's brings back Szechuan sauce
- Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt welcome baby Speidi, Gunnar Stone