The chain is also releasing 1,000 limited edition commemorative screen-printed posters to go along with each sauce, also to be available on October 7 at participating locations.
"Smartest man" Rick Sanchez (Justin Roiland) outwits aliens in this Season 3 episode of "Rick and Morty". McDonald's issued three jars of Szechuan sauce to lucky fans via a contest on Twitter the night Rick and Morty officially returned at the end of July, but didn't have any updates for fans who wanted to get their hands on it.
"And when we say limited, we mean really, really limited!" the site proclaims.
On Sunday, McDonald's announced that it was bringing back Szechuan sauce for a wider audience. They're introducing a mysterious new "Signature Sauce" as well, but they're clearly banking heavily on the sudden fervor around the Szechuan, hoping people turn out October 7 at select locations to get a taste (much like how they've conditioned people to act like total freaks in pursuit of the McRib). The fast food giant is also showing off all 10 dipping sauce posters that'll be available.
"Rick and Morty" fans petitioned for the sauce to be brought back and was highlighted in the surprise April 1 season 3 premiere on TV's Adult Swim. McDonald's is bringing back the Szechuan Sauce. At select locations, posters honoring the sauce will be given out free to fans, and at even fewer locations, the sauce itself will be available with purchase of the Crispy Buttermilk Tenders.
But unlike its original 1998 run as a tie-in to the animation Mulan, the Szechuan Sauce will accompany the fast-food chain's Buttermilk Crispy Tenders instead of its classic Chicken McNuggets.
Prior to the announcement a petition garnered almost 40,000 signatures calling for the sauces return, and a guy who found a packet of the original managed to sell it on eBay for $14,700 (£11,500).
- Tuition fees repayment threshold to rise to £25000
- Local aid for Puerto Rico waiting for take-off
- Tillerson says USA has direct channels to talk to N Korea
- Sony PlayStation VR now available in India for INR 37990
- Three killed by Pak firing in Jammu and Kashmir's Poonch sector
- Training aircraft reported missing after crash in Tennessee
- Myanmar makes 'proposal' to take back Rohingya refugees from Bangladesh
- Sri Lanka beat Pakistan in Abu Dhabi test by 21 runs
- Trump official calls Puerto Rico response "a good news story"
- 2 women plead not guilty to killing N.Korean leader's half-brother