Microsoft is no longer developing new features and hardware for Windows 10 mobile as the operating system is officially placed into servicing mode.
Joe Belfiore accepts on Twitter that Windows Mobile suffered from some unfortunate decisions. He has explained the company's struggle with rolling out new features for Windows phone and has also highlighted that launching new handsets are no longer a "focus" for the company. But for existing Windows Mobile user, Microsoft will continue to support the platform and will continue to provide bug fixes and security updates for the system.
Another user noted that when Windows Mobile users switch to iOS or Android, there'll be no more need for Microsoft. The company representative admitted that they have closed all operations of software and hardware updates for the brand.
One of the biggest problems that Windows Phone faced was the lack of support from third-party developers. But the number of users were very less to invoke interest in writing applications.
Microsoft's Windows Phone has been dead for a while now.
The company "gutted its phone business last year", the website says, which resulted in "thousands of job cuts". Plus AdDuplex estimates that as of last month, just 20.3% of Windows Phone devices were running Windows 10, with 73.9% still on Windows Phone 8.1. We will support those users too!
In all fairness, Microsoft did its best to push its Windows mobile platform, but Google's Android and iOS always maintained the lead.
As VentureBeat reported, Microsoft laid off nearly 2,000 employees in 2016, which mostly affected its mobile hardware division in Finland.
"We have tried VERY HARD to incentivize app developers", said Belfiore.
But the platform suffered due a lack of apps in its app store, Windows Marketplace, and the inability to offer timely updates as compared to the fast evolving Android.
- Files Season 11 Trailer Debuts
- How Dianne Feinstein's re-election bid encapsulates the divide within the Democratic Party
- Search Continues For Missing 3-Year-Old Richardson Girl
- VP Pence exits game after anthem protest
- GM buys Lidar startup Strobe to accelerate its self-driving auto development
- Russian election propaganda also appeared on Google, YouTube and Gmail, report says
- Christopher Columbus Statue Fenced off on LA's 1st 'Indigenous Peoples Day'
- Where is the ball? UK and EU exchange volleys over Brexit
- ESPN Anchor Jemele Hill Suspended Over Jerry Jones Tweets
- Israel refuses to let Hamas leaders join Egypt talks