However, it looks like Paramount Pictures has now successfully acquired the rights to the beloved character and is going to give him the live-action/CGI hybrid treatment in his first ever theatrical appearance.
Miller's longtime collaborator Jeff Fowler will make the project his feature film directional debut. Toby Ascher will also serve as an executive producer. Before you get any ideas, this won't be the R-rated version of Sonic.
From what we've seen, video games that are adapted into movies rarely do well.
"Sonic the Hedgehog" live-action film has a 2019 theater release date.
Having originated as a video game character in 1991 that eventually became SEGA's mascot, Sonic the Hedgehog has appeared in several animated series and comic book tie-ins, initially published by Archie Comics. More than 360 million copies of the game have been sold on various formats around the world, and continue to delight to this very day.
This will be the first film adaptation for Sonic and it is now a live-action /CGI animation combination that is now scheduled for a 2019 release date.
Housed at Paramount, the film has transitioned from its original placement at Sony.
Fans of Sonic the Hedgehog have likely been hearing about the prospect of a live action movie adaptation of the franchise for some time now. Though it seems as though the film would be more suited for CGI, the team could offer something in the way of the twist found in The Lego Movie.
- Facebook estimates that it exposed 10m U.S. members to Russian propaganda
- 10 million people saw Facebook Russia ads
- Facebook Launched Messenger Lite in US, Canada and UK
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds devs explain why Asian servers have had so many issues
- Dallas Cowboys vs Los Angeles Rams: Preview and predictions
- Catalan independence in 'matter of days'
- French MPs to vote on tough anti-terror law
- Wells Fargo CEO Defends Bank on Capitol Hill
- Boost for Tottenham as Real Madrid star ruled out for a month
- Three & Out: Takeaways from Rams' 35-30 Victory Over Cowboys