Indonesian goalkeeper Choirul Huda has died after a collision with a teammate during a national league match.
Huda was rushed to a nearby hospital in an ambulance after being carried off the field on a stretcher.
The goalkeeper rushed off his line to smother an attacking move from the opposition, but was unable to avoid his defender who was rushing back to clear his lines.
The club confirmed his death a short time later.
It also thanked him for his dedication to Persela, the entire Lamongan area and to Indonesian football.
He told reporters: "All of the players finished the game and went to the hospital, where it was announced that Choirul Huda had died".
"The loss of Choirul Huda has hit us all hard", Santoso added.
The club paid tribute to the sporting legend on Twitter following news of his death.
The impact of the collision appears to have been to his head.
- Troy Deeney trolling Hecor Bellerin won't go down well at Arsenal
- Pak anti-graft court defers Sharif's indictment till October 19
- Larry Flynt offers $10 million for information leading to Trump's impeachment
- Another Titan Enters the Food Delivery Game: Facebook
- Nitish Kumar seeks more road projects in Bihar
- North Korea warns Australia for supporting United States
- Snoop Dogg --'Shout Out to Eminem For Saying Some Real Shit'
- Ubisoft detail South Park: The Fractured But Whole's season pass
- Iraqi Kurds withdraw from area near Kirkuk
- At It Again: Dimon Breaks Vow, Calls Bitcoin Buyers 'Stupid'