Joining the list of other actresses such as Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow, Rose McGowan also accused Harvey of sexual harassment.
In response to the allegations, Weinstein's representative repeated denials regarding allegations of "non-consensual sex" and added: "He will not be available for further comments, as he is taking the time to focus on his family, on getting counselling and rebuilding his life".
In the image shared by McGowan, Twitter stated that it had been determined that her account had violated Twitter rules and had thus been temporarily limited to sending direct messages. McGowan's Twitter account has been suspended, temporarily muting a central figure in the allegations against Harvey Weinstein.
McGowan has since criticised other major Hollywood figures for failing to confront Weinstein, at one point tweeting: "You all knew". "The idea behind the boycott is to show Twitter that silence they seem to prefer".
Chrissy Teigen is a frequent tweeter who has had a rocky relationship with social media. Mark Ruffalo tweeted, "Tomorrow I follow the women", while Nick Offerman wrote,"I'm with her (ad infinitum)".
To this, Rose had tweeted, "GODDAMNIT!"
Canadian television writer Emily Andras, known for the series Wyonna Earp, tweeted the boycott is about respect for women - but some critics say silence is not the way to fight abuse.
"Twitter is proud to empower and support the voices on our platform, especially those that speak truth to power", the statement continues.
It isn't just women who are joining the boycott.
"Some visible users have left the platform, but it hasn't seemed to make Twitter sit up and take notice".
The #WomenBoycottTwitter campaign began at midnight Thursday in NY from software engineer Kelly Ellis, who criticized the social media platform for failing to support "victims of hate and harassment". "I hope to see some meaningful changes come out of it, including better tools for dealing with dogpile-style harassment".
- Maine's Susan Collins declines gov run, will remain in Senate
- Turkey blames USA envoy for souring ties; won't buy U.S. guns
- Virgin Hyperloop One sees billionaire Branson back Elon Musk's tech
- Trump to announce Iran nuke deal decision 'very shortly'
- CPI rises 3.28% in September; August IIP jumps 4.3%
- Sonia Gandhi hints at Rahul's elevation 'soon'
- Mobile Caps High-Speed Data At 5GB While Roaming In Canada, Mexico
- Still slated for Game 4 start
- CMA details scope of Fox-Sky investigation in issues statement
- United States bombers fly over Korean Peninsula in 1st night joint training drills