Joining the list of other actresses such as Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow, Rose McGowan also accused Harvey of sexual harassment.
In response to the allegations, Weinstein's representative repeated denials regarding allegations of "non-consensual sex" and added: "He will not be available for further comments, as he is taking the time to focus on his family, on getting counselling and rebuilding his life".
In the image shared by McGowan, Twitter stated that it had been determined that her account had violated Twitter rules and had thus been temporarily limited to sending direct messages. McGowan's Twitter account has been suspended, temporarily muting a central figure in the allegations against Harvey Weinstein.
McGowan has since criticised other major Hollywood figures for failing to confront Weinstein, at one point tweeting: "You all knew". "The idea behind the boycott is to show Twitter that silence they seem to prefer".
Chrissy Teigen is a frequent tweeter who has had a rocky relationship with social media. Mark Ruffalo tweeted, "Tomorrow I follow the women", while Nick Offerman wrote,"I'm with her (ad infinitum)".
To this, Rose had tweeted, "GODDAMNIT!"
Canadian television writer Emily Andras, known for the series Wyonna Earp, tweeted the boycott is about respect for women - but some critics say silence is not the way to fight abuse.
"Twitter is proud to empower and support the voices on our platform, especially those that speak truth to power", the statement continues.
It isn't just women who are joining the boycott.
"Some visible users have left the platform, but it hasn't seemed to make Twitter sit up and take notice".
The #WomenBoycottTwitter campaign began at midnight Thursday in NY from software engineer Kelly Ellis, who criticized the social media platform for failing to support "victims of hate and harassment". "I hope to see some meaningful changes come out of it, including better tools for dealing with dogpile-style harassment".
- United States bombers fly over Korean Peninsula in 1st night joint training drills
- Owners of 'Breaking Bad' house build fence to shield from pizza-throwers
- CPI rises 3.28% in September; August IIP jumps 4.3%
- Mobile Caps High-Speed Data At 5GB While Roaming In Canada, Mexico
- Sonia Gandhi hints at Rahul's elevation 'soon'
- Turkey blames USA envoy for souring ties; won't buy U.S. guns
- Ezekiel Elliott's Six Game Suspension Is Reinstated
- CMA details scope of Fox-Sky investigation in issues statement
- Facebook Announces Upcoming Oculus Virtual Reality Headset
- Finnair Just Sent Its Final Friday the 13th Flight 666 to HEL