South Africa's Damian de Allende was red-carded late on for an elbow.
Though naturally disappointed at not coming away with the result, it was something of a moral victory for the South Africans after they suffered a humiliating 57-0 loss to the All Blacks at North Harbour last month, as well as a 57-14 drubbing when the teams met in the Republic during last season's competition. "They don't seem to have any weak areas, so we will have to show that we've learnt from our experience in Albany", Coetzee said.
South Africa fired back with a try five minutes later through flanker Jean-Luc du Preez but just when you think the All Blacks are on the back foot, they create something out of nothing and score a scintillating try. During that run the All Blacks have a staggering points differential of +2091 and average 4.4 tries a game.
"We started the second half at the 50-minute mark so we weren't going to muck around, we were going to get the subs on fairly quickly so that is what we did".
McKenzie, who has also played on the wing and at flyhalf for the Kiwis, said after Saturday's test he had no preference.
But whether by 57 points or one, New Zealand found a way to win and cap another masterly tournament. We are heading in the right direction.
The teams traded early penalties before Ryan Crotty scored the first try to give New Zealand an 8-3 lead at the break.
"It's not a flawless formula and I believe it's a positive that we can move between that direct style of play and using more width, and we can also pressure teams with our kicking game", said Coetzee.
But they held on to finish the southern hemisphere championship with a 100 percent success rate for a second successive year.
Over the near eight year reign the All Blacks have claimed two World Cup titles and played 106 tests, losing just eight with three draws.
Sopoaga comes off the bench.
- Harvey Weinstein sacked after sexual harassment claims
- Galen Rupp wins the Chicago Marathon. Jordan Hasay sets women's record
- Vegas shooter booked hotel overlooking Lollapalooza in Chicago
- Las Vegas Shooter May Have Originally Wanted to Attack Chicago's Lollapalooza
- MA officers travel to help in Puerto Rico
- Hurricane Nate: New Orleans, stay indoors, officials warn
- Miami Dolphins: 3 Bold predictions vs
- Trump "not at all surprised" by Harvey Weinstein harassment allegations
- Palmer: It 'made sense' to leave Renault now
- Gal Gadot Plants One on Kate McKinnon in SNL Skit