Second-placed Wales can still win Group D - and automatic qualification to next summer's World Cup finals being held in Russian Federation - if they manage to win in Cardiff and leaders Serbia fail to beat Georgia at home, also tonight.
It's a huge night for the Wales national team tonight and they will need the home fans at the Cardiff City Stadium to be as rabid as ever. "The confidence will do us the world of good going into Monday".
"We played really well in patches and created plenty of chances throughout the game, so we can use that and go forward into the Israel game tomorrow full of confidence". That's the way it's set up.
'What happened to Seamus was unfortunate but I don't think it will have a bearing on this game, ' said Coleman.
"We changed the side to give us energy for a big game in Lille against Italy at the European Championships".
Chris Coleman, who saw his Wales side win 1-0 in Georgia three days ago, made just one personnel adjustment, with Hal Robson-Kanu being preferred to Sam Vokes up front.
The match will be under much scrutiny not only because of the high stakes.
And while West Ham have hardly been prolific this season, manager Slaven Bilic admitting that he is struggling to get the best out of Andy Carroll and Javier Hernandez, Long's performances in West Brom colours at least spare the club from further criticism.
Welcome to live text commentary of tonight's crunch World Cup qualifying clash between Wales and the Republic of Ireland. A win can also mean top spot should Serbia draw with (combined with an emphatic Ireland win) or lose to Georgia.
But what they don't know is whether a win will even be enough.
They're looking to reach the World Cup for the first time since 1958.
Ireland in this selection lost only one match, but it was the key.
"It was only when we spoke to Brian Kerr and told him about it, that things started to move quickly", said Hansen, speaking to The Daily Telegraph back in 2011. Of course the connections are always going to be there. He will be hoping Wales can win and other results go the right way to secure his first appearance at the World Cup finals.
- Costa Rica seal World Cup spot after 1-1 draw
- Gal Gadot Plants One on Kate McKinnon in SNL Skit
- Italian Legend Andrea Pirlo To Retire At The End Of The Year
- MA officers travel to help in Puerto Rico
- Bank robber father of Las Vegas gunman born in Sheboygan
- Las Vegas Shooter May Have Originally Wanted to Attack Chicago's Lollapalooza
- Palmer: It 'made sense' to leave Renault now
- South Africa vs New Zealand Rugby Championship highlights
- Harvey Weinstein sacked after sexual harassment claims
- Trump "not at all surprised" by Harvey Weinstein harassment allegations